How long does a tooth extraction take?

My oldest has to have two of his baby teeth extracted and also has an orthodontist appointment. I need a sitter and am wondering how long I should reserve my sitter for.

Any clue?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Are they putting you under or are you just getting silly gas and Novocain?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Wow, I had one pulled in June and it took about 10 minutes total. I'm not sure if that might be a little longer with kids though. Maybe getting them calm enough might take a little while longer....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Maybe call and ask? They do them all day they would know. Good luck! You are going to have a very loopy middle.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• O.m.g. kiddo not middle.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Is it the first appointment of the day? Make sure to add some extra time for waiting.

I might ask the sitter to keep things open-ended, just in case.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Dang! Well the kid is 14, so I am pretty sure he will be calm enough. It stinks because it is my birthday. UGH! It was the only day we could get until the middle of next month.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• If there are two separate appointments, one for the extraction and one with the orthodontist, factoring in time for waiting, I'd say a couple of hours. I had a tooth extracted last winter, and I guess it took about a half an hour, with laughing gas.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• It depends on a number of things.
    Are the teeth in the same quadrant of the mouth?
    If the answer is yes, are they next to each other or are there teeth between?
    If they are next to each other the extraction should take less than 45 minutes. That does not include the wait time in the office and any talking that the doctor may do. Depending on how difficult the extraction, they may ask you to stay in the waiting room for 15 to 30 minutes. This is if you are using Novocain or similar.
    If he is having general anesthetic I would add at least an hour.

Then of course you have the travel time.

I would really ask the office. I have one that was wrapped firmly around the jaw bone and that was about 45 minutes. I had another that popped right out. It is just very hard to say but they already have the xrays, right? So they should be able to give you a guesstimate.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2013