Homewrecker

I was watching one of the talk shows (can't remember which one) and the husband & wife had been having problems for years and were separated. The wife found out the husband had a girlfriend, and now all of a sudden the wife is calling the girlfriend a homewrecker.

WHY is the other woman called a homewrecker? The man is the one who went to another woman and wrecked the home. It's not like the other woman went to the home and took over.

DivaNCali

Asked by DivaNCali at 4:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• Because it's so easy to blame the other woman and so common even women buy into it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I believe the term originated to describe women who would deliberately set out to seduce a married man into cheating. We all know that men are responsible for their actions, but I think we all also know there was a time when we weren't allowed to say that. So, since women couldn't say, "My husband was too damn pathetic to keep it in his pants", they would just call the woman he cheated with a homewrecker because she "wrecked the home" by convincing him to cheat.

Now women just continue to say it because it's always been said, and plus it's easier to blame her than the husband that really hurt them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Because that way, the woman from the broken marriage doesn't have to take any responsibility in the situation. A man shouldn't cheat, a woman shouldn't try to get him to stray from his wife. But in a lot of cases, the home the new girlfriend "wrecked" was barely intact anyway. Not that problems in the marriage make it all right to cheat or to be the other woman, but the whole thing with the wife crying "homewrecker" and pretending to be an innocent victim pisses me off because that usually just isn't the case.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I wonder this all of the time.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• In reality they are both home wreckers. If she is aware that he is married she is just as responsible for the infidelity as he is.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• It is a lot easier to fault the person you have no emotional attachment to. Jealousy, insecurity, and feelings of failure can cause a normally sensible woman to lash out at the other woman.

Sadly, too many women fail to ditch the loser husband but would rather fight for him.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• A homewrecker is a force from without the confines of the marriage just as a wrecking ball is not a part of the building being torn down.
    The man is a part of the marriage and is therefore cheating on the other partner. He may have called for the wrecking ball but he is not ii
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• they were separated there was nothing to wreck. I expect loyalty from my dh not other women he would be the one I blamed if he were to step out.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• He took the vows and he broke them, not her.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• If the other woman knows he is still married and lives with his wife and still chooses to be involved with him, she is no different than he is.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2013