Buying a crib VS buying a mattress for my pack n play?

I am leaning towards not co-sleeping anymore as the baby gets more mobile. It's too much of a scare to me. She sleeps with a baby monitor by her face and I always have the other monitor on me. If she moves, I'm two seconds away at all times. BUT it would be nice to stretch out at night or be able to move and sneeze and get up to pee at night.

Would any of you moms enlighten me with input? Cribs are nice, but if I bought a mattress for her pack n play it seems like that would be the same thing. I have a mini crib but she immediately gets her legs stuck in the slats and it's just not big enough.

She is 8 months old and our last planned baby. So it wouldn't be passed along pending I don't become "pregnat" again.Funds are low. I could probably get a crib used for around 50-100 and we have a crib mattress from my 3 year old's toddler bed that could be passed on. Then i'd have to buy the bedding and the bumper to keep her limbs out of the slats. The pack n play is all mesh, no getting stuck there.

I just don't know. I have never used a crib before.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would use the pack n play nothing to say to HAVE to have a crib.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I would do the pack and play for now and then get a cheap toddler bed OR a twin mattress/box spring to sit on the floor when she is 15-18 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• It's basically the same thing right? A crib is just a decorational piece of furniture?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Doc, I think you were the one who told me about the mattress for the pack n play. I must have asked this question once before.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• A pack and play is just fine! It is a safe place for the baby to sleep. That is really the only thin you need right? Unless she is tiny she will outgrow it in length more quickly than with an actual crib but that is why I suggested moving her out of it at 15-18 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I remember your question before. I agree with ButMommie.. My son was out of the crib(we got for free somewhere) by 18 mths and that was pushing it as he was climbing out before that. We just moved him to a toddler bed we got for real cheap and then but a big bed. If I did it again and couldn't find a cheap toddler bed(was around $10) and didn't already have a crib mattress I would just go for the twin on the floor.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• The only advantage to buying a crib would be if you could get one that converts into a regular bed later on. Like the one above. This way when the baby is ready for a toddler bed you could use this bed for your older child & use the toddler bed you have. Otherwise I'd just do the Pack & Play with a mattress in it. BUT! Most pack & play mattresses do not fit exactly snug in it. Measure the pack & play & measure the mattress. I bought one & it was about two inches too narrow so I filled in the gap with rolled towels. I only used it for sleeping at night before my kids could roll over. So if you can not get a snug mattress you may want to just go with the crib.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• DS had a twin on the floor because it was a cheaper more long term option at the time. It worked perfectly. No need to rails or anything... it was like a foot and a half from the floor. He loved it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• If I had another child and had the cash I would do the one like Ilovemypaulie showed. I saw one that coverts into a FULL mattress which would last until they were adults. Could you imagine your child sleeping in same bed from birth to adulthood(tyoretically could be until death)?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• The only worry I would have with the Pack 'n' Play is that the child might be able to climb out of it sooner than a crib. Although you never know, my daughter learned to escape from a crib at an early age. If you don't intend it to be a long term thing, the Pack 'n' Play might be fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2013