When Obamacare was being formed and representatives were trying to sell the public on it's merit, do you recall them saying that the end game was single payer?

I don't recall that. In fact, from what I read and from what I recall they claimed that it was not the direction Obamacare would take us. It was such an unpopular idea that they removed the public option from the bill originally. Now Harry Reid is saying that Obamacare will eventually result in single payer. That seems like a bait and switch to me.

Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 6:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Many have said it was designed to fail so that people would accept single payer. I believe that was the goal all along. Does it surprise me that it was done that way? Not a bit. Does it surprise me they are now admitting it? Oh yeah!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Do you recall them saying that Obamacare would have to be passed before anyone would know what was in it?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• See, I seem to remember someone saying it would become single payer, but it was supposed to be a 'behind closed doors' comment that was leaked out, then had to be walked back and disavowed.

But, it's been a while, and most of us know that was the long term goal anyway. So, I could be mistaken.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I most certainly recall Pelosi saying that, Dardenella. I was utterly flabbergasted.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Obama himself said he wanted single payer, but he knew the people were not on board so a more indirect route was chosen. It has always been the goal.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I thought Obama said single payer, at least I hear his voice in my memory saying it. Rather that is accurate or not, I don't know.
    marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 1:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I have never doubted that the ultimate goal for them was single payer, but I don't recall anyone coming out and saying so. I remember them considering putting in a public option which was widely unpopular, so much so that they had to remove it from the bill. Part of me isn't surprised at all at being lied to, but to do so with 1/6 of the economy in the balance is just sickening. JMO.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• And yes, I recall Pelosi saying they had to pass it to find out what was in it. If that's the case, what is the job of a Senator and a CongressCritter? Is reading bills something they are not required to do before voting laws that will impact us all? Seems a little negligent to me. How people say things like that and manage to get reelected is beyond me.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2013