Kids have asked hubby to adopt them...

My 16 and 13 year old kids have asked my hubby to adopt them. Their father has really never been in the picture, and my hubby in the last 5 years has done more for them than their biological dad. I know he will put up a fight, but isn't there something that we can do to help the process of adoption go off with out a big fuss from him?

yellarose

Asked by yellarose at 6:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Adoption

• if the biodad pays child support- I don't think there is anything you can do unless he is willing to sign away his rights
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Like I said, the father hasn't been in their lives since they were little. Oh he tries to see them, but they want nothing to do with him (their choice) and no, the last time he paid child support was just a little over $6.00 last month.
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 9:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Even if the father hasn't paid child-support you still can't do anything unless he's willing to sign his rights over.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Get a good lawyer and let them worry about it.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Get an attorney and have your kids talk to the attorney and judge. They are old enough to give their opinion.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Retain Terry (Terrance) Poppe (Lincoln) (#474-1731) He is THE best at family/custody issues. We retained him when I got my son back. Alot of our friends have had him as well and he's great! Good luck!
    Lovetoscrapbook

Answer by Lovetoscrapbook at 4:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Usually you need a TPR on the biodad - he needs to either have NOT paid support for a year, OR not visited the kids in a year OR be willing to sign his rights over.

I'm a stepmom who is ACTING MOM to a child I wish I could adopt as well - I know the pain and frustrations. I wish there was more we could do.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2009