When I was a child...

Kids played until the street lights came on, then you went home.
Shoes were worn for school and Sunday School. We went barefoot in the summer.
There were 3 channels on the television and if you were lucky, you had COLOR! There were no remote controls to change the channel. That's what kids were good for!
Moms stayed home and dads worked.
We weren't overweight and we were very creative.
We said, yes mam and yes sir. Kids were to be seen, not heard when visiting other people's home.
We actually had penny candy and a dime bought 10 pieces of candy :)
Movies, a bag of popcorn and a coke costs .50 (Sat. Matinee)
Our favorite games as a girl was, Jacks, Pick Up Sticks, Marbles and Jump Rope, triple Jump Rope if you were really good!
Roller skates had a key that was worn around the neck, used to adjust the skates when necessary.
Winter months were filled with snow men and hot chocolate. Burl Ives narrated Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer. And Frosty The Snowman was everyone's favorite!
Christmas was simple. Girls received Paper Dolls, or Dolls and boys received Hot wheels and balls. If lucky, they received a Tonka Truck and army men.

I miss the good old days when life was simple.

What are some of the things you miss as a child?

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• That is exactly how I grew up. There were always kids playing outside & we used to read the Sunday Funny section on the sidewalk in our P.J.'s :)
    We never locked our doors.
    We walked to Kindergarten through the woods.
    We bought everything we needed in "town".
    We rode bikes barefoot & never got hurt.
    We would soak the lawn then run & slide on it.
    We ran through a sprinkler when all us kids weren't fighting for a spot in the "slide & splash" plastic pool.
    My Sister turned our playhouse into a hippie house with black light posters, candles & incense.
    We had a metal swing set
    My neighbors swing set wasn't set in cement so we'd swing as high as we could to tip it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I miss going to the amusement park or the fair and not giving a thought to how much it cost, since some grown-up exchanged money for tokens or tickets, and the tokens or tickets were worthless except for having fun with.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• .......I caught a fleeting glimpse/Out of the corner of my eye........

Sorry, I'm exhausted and that's the first thing that came to mind, just from reading your title.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Anybody remember when you could take a quarter with you and get "sample" pieces of Brach candies?? Used to be my favorite thing when Mom would go grocery shopping.

We had a HUGE white pine behind the house and that was our "tree house" ... never actually built one, we just used the whole tree b/c it was the easiest one to climb.

I loved playing hide and seek in the dark. Had my first make out session while doing that. =o)

We used to throw rocks at the power lines ... well not AT them but see who could get the rocks OVER them. I think there were four of them and to win, you had to get the rock over the top line. Mom and dad didn't like this game ... some silliness about rocks hitting their cars that happened to be in the driveway right behind us.

Drinking from the hose b/c you didn't want to go in. Yelling through the window that you were going to a friend's house.

Ah ... those were fun days.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I really miss Saturday morning cartoons, and afternoon specials. I miss not having to come home til the streetlights came on, but if I was late and my mom had to come after me, I KNEW I would have one pissed mama to deal with.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I miss it all. It was the best time of my life.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I miss COD- when I could save my allowance & order something to come to my house & pay the mailman with MY own money was a big deal to me.

I miss those carefree summer days, when you could drink from the hose, ride bikes from sunrise to sunset, & catch lightning bugs when I got dark.

I miss lazy Sunday mornings, using my silly putty on the color comics from the paper, while I had my cereal :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I miss nothing......
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2013