When do i pump?

My baby is 2 months old and I just received my pump and bottle I order. When and how much should I pump? I'm still going to nurse my baby the bottle is for when im not home. planning on taking night classes and also when hubby n I want to go out to dinner or a movie. My 2nd daughter refused a bottle so I never pumped. I bought a Medela Calma bottle its specially made for breastfeeding . The bottle is round like a breast with a long open nipple it has a 2 way valve that the baby controls the flow by sucking, I hand expressed 1 oz. to test it out she spit the nipple out and fussed for a minute once she sucked on it figured out milk comes out she drank it all no problem then I finished nursing her. So I think going from this bottle to breast will be no problem. Any how back to my question .. Do I pump after she's eating from the same breast or opposite breast ? During feeding . sometimes she goes 4 hours without nursing should I pump between then?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 2:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thought you could pump and freeze the milk.
    I have never breast feed. But if I did. I would feed my child then pump the rest out.

Answer by louise2 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Google the Le Leche League. They should have some helpful advice. I pumped with my first baby but its been a long time. It seems like I pumped first thing in the morning when my breasts were the fullest. I think I did pump one breast then feed off the other. The goal is to have that same letdown where the milk is free flowing and pump whatever a feeding is at the time. You'll probably pump about 3 or 4oz. for a 2 month old baby. You can then freeze that and if baby is still hungry after nursing off the one breast you can still offer her the side you pumped. It's supply and demand. The only thing to look out for is ending up over stimulating your supply and having too much milk.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Pump between feedings. It varies how much you will be able to pump. Some people can pump more than the Mayfield Dairy while others only get 1/2 an ounce at a time. It all depends on how well your body responds to the pump. Also look at Kellymom.com for more information.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• If you have not opened the Calma package you may want to return it. IBCLC's are finding problems with it. http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-trouble-with-calma-and-quest-for.html

There is no bottle nipple that's actually made especially for breastfeeding. Best one is down to what baby likes.

Pump in the AM. It gets best output. Don't bother at night; it's an exercise in frustration. Otherwise, pump whenever you like. There's no wrong way to do it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• If she eats off of one breast, then pump the other after. Never go more than 3 hours. I pumped every 5 hours and my milk dried up in a month. You want to pump on the same schedule she eats. The breastfeeding is going to change your milk supply but always pump till your empty. If you dont empty your body doesnt know to make more milk and can lead to mastitis. ALWAYS pump at least once through the night. I know from experience that in the mornings if you dont pump through the night your output goes down.
    Mommy081713

Answer by Mommy081713 at 5:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2013