Can you sense when a plot is afoot?

My stepson thought he was going to put one over on me at dinner. He didn't like the food and tried to sneak it in the trash without me knowing. I knew even before his little sister ratted him out. He tried to deny what he had done, but I told him I heard the trash can open and close, and I heard him trying to move very quietly, which isn't at all usual for him. I said I could also just sense that something sneaky was going on. The air was full of it. I was actually livid because, first of all, we don't waste food in my house. If he didn't want to eat it, he could have put it in a plastic tub for his dad to take to work. And secondly, I don't care to be lied to. If it weren't for the fact that my daughter deserved to go, I would have pulled the plug on our trip to the amusement park.

So my question is, can you all sense when something shady is going on with your kids? My stepson thought it was because I'm very conscious of what I hear at all times, since I can't see. But I told him it was mostly a mom thing, an intuition or something. My daughter told him the eyes in the front of my head were broken, but I have eyes in the back that still work.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• Something's always up when my kids are quiet back in a bedroom. They fight/bicker like cats and dogs, so when it gets quiet for more than 5 minutes i know something's up.

Yes, it's mostly intuition, but it's also just KNOWING your kids and what's normal for them.

Loved what your daughter said to him about your eyes. That's cute.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I love what your daughter said! Too cute!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• When they're playing quietly and nicely with each other. They can be right in front of me, but they're usually gearing up to ask for something.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• When the kids where to quiet. There is something up. I told my girls Moms have eyes in the back of there heads.

Answer by louise2 at 8:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Oh you can tell! When they get quiet or they head off to their room and shut the door. Shutting the door is a BIG clue here. Or my favorite is when I say 'What are you doing?' and the answer is 'nothing'. 'Nothing' is baaaaaaad news.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I love your daughter's response. Very good!
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 7:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2013