Sensitive question for moms of autistic boys adult content

How do/did you deal with masturbation?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Special Needs

• Oh, this subject scares me. :0)

We have already touched on it just a tiny bit because he was starting to kind of hold onto it while watching T.V. We told him that if he wanted to touch himself he could but it had to be done in his room because it was something that should be kept private. He stated that it felt good and we agreed with him while still being firm that it is something we do in private. I can not remember the name of the book we ended up liking but I need to order it! I know the one I wanted to later was from the American Medical Association though. A Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teen (or something like that) Went into masturbation and sex.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Oh! I found this one here during my searches a while back and I think I will be getting it for him when he is ready. Just not s when that will be... "Autism - Asperger's and Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond"
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• But_Mommie? asked about puberty recently
    I looked in special needs but can't find it :(

There was a recommended book on the topic specific to SPD kids.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I do what But Mommie did. I tell him that he can tough himself, but it is a private thing and needs to be done in his room. Sometimes he does have to be reminded.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 12:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• My son is not autistic but has some of the traits. We told him bedroom HIS bedroom only because our home is the only place that he has one. We did not for example say bathroom because church,school,the mall(you get the idea) all have bathrooms. My son started when he was about 10,he is now 17YO
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• We told him it stays in his room. Hasn't been a problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I told my oldest if he wants to touch there be needs to go to his room. If he was touching at a time when he couldn't go to his room I told him "hands down" which discreetly took care of the problem.

Answer by missanc at 5:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• My son has to go into his bedroom for that. We don't make a big deal of it, we just make him do it in private. My behavior therapist says it will stop around age 16-20. Hope she's right. He doesn't do it much at school, but he has to go into the bathroom there. They are working on it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2013