I find it annoying

when you're at a restaurant,and the whole place except you, at your table,is completely empty,and people will sit RIGHT next to you
We went to a pizza buffet restaurant that seats about 150 people. The tables and booths are really close to one another.
We were sitting in a booth,and the next people to come in,sat at the table next to us. I could have literally reached over and touched them at the next table,the table is that close.
There were 3 booths that were closer to the buffet,if that was an issue,and there were 3 of them,so squeezing into a booth wasn't the issue either
It make you get weirded out to have conversations in an otherwise empty place,and the people can hear what the others are saying,as clear as a bell
i've had this similar issue on the bus. Empty besides me,and maybe one other person,and they'll sit right next to you.
Does this bug you,or am I just weird?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• is this a place where you seat yourself? Then yeah- I don't get why they would sit so close if there is so much empty space to pick from
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• They love you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• It bothers me too. What also bothers me is when we're seated, and then they seat 2 other families after us, and they all have their order taken before us. (It happened recently) I was furious, but since I didn't want to chance having someone spit in my food, I didn't say anything....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Where they told to do so? If not, that's weird.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I find it even more annoying when people do that in movie theaters. I try to sit away from others so the person with me can tell me what's going on without bothering anybody. Someone will almost always plop down right next to us, and then when my companion starts describing the movie, the one who sat too close will start shushing us.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• That's when I get up and move. Or out and out ask them why did you sit right next to us. When there is all that other space?

Answer by louise2 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I have a friend who has a lot of connections in town (political and civic org types). Going out with her is a pain the ass because people will do that on purpose to hear what she's trying to talk about. 9 times out of 10 we're talking about stuff completely unrelated to what's going on with whatever campaign or the latest booster meeting, but they'll overhear some snippet, decide in their head that it's about whatever they want it to be about, and the latest political gossip is born.

It's at the point now that we intentionally go miles out of the way to somewhere the next town over, or if we do go somewhere local, I'll intentionally start talking about DS having a diaper blowout (nm he's 10 and been out of them for years) when they sit down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Ha Ha... they do it in the parking lot too....WHY????? It's like they always have to fill in the spaces in order... Bunch of OCD people!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• im with ballad. i hate when people do that in a movie theater. and i hate when i have my feet up on the chair in front of me (because yes i am an ill mannered snob like that) and the theater has TONS of empty seats but someone has to come plop their ass in the seat im comfortably resting my feet in.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Next time that happens, just forget your table manners. Start farting & burping really loud & see if that gets them to move. If they start joining in w/ you, then you have a real problem! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2013