how do i get my 5 year old step daughter to keep her vagina clean?

My fiance and I recently got custody of his 5 year old daughter. Her mother has taught her little to nothing about anything. Poor girl cant even say her abc's! So, when it comes to cleanliness I am having trouble teaching her how to keep her body clean. She complains about her vagina hurting when she pees and generally hurting throughout the day. I assume its a UTI and I give her cranberry juice, which only helps temporarily. She still pees the bed every night and sometimes during the day. I think she keeps getting UTI's because she doesn't know how to keep herself clean down there. But, as a first time mother, and being her step mother, i am not sure how to explain to her the importance of a clean vagina. I make sure she washes it, of course, but the problem still occurs. Should i show her what it looks like down there and then show her where to clean? Should i get her baby wipes to use insead of using TP?

Andrea S.

Asked by Andrea S. at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How about you take her to the pediatrician. Good grief
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Yes on the baby wipes and yes on the pediatrician.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• How is she washing it? That may be the problem in itself. I agree that you need to take her to the doctor.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• take her to a doctor
    and bathe her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Are you sure it's not an actual UTI which sometimes requires antibiotics?

With age of a child she's young enough I would actually show her so she knows what to do. On her body, not yours.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• maybe you should see a doctor...she may need antibiotics for it
    make sure she takes a bath every day, and she should be ok
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Try supervising her baths
    She's probably wiping back to front too. Teach her the right way
    SIGH....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• First bring her to the doctor and get her checked. Then procede to teach her how to wipe herself properly. (You have to show her how) And teach her how to take a bath, wash properly.

Answer by louise2 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I assume its a UTI and I give her cranberry juice, which only helps temporarily.

She keeps getting a UTI because you haven't taken her to the doctor to cure it yet!!! WTF!! Evidently YOU should NOT be involved her her care either if you don't know that cranberry juice is NOT a cure for a UTI!! If I knew where you lived I'd be calling DSS on you myself. That poor, poor little girl! Of course she is wetting the bed... she has a chronic infection. I just hope YOU haven't done permanent damage to her by not seeking medical treatment!! OMFG!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• As the other have said get to the doctor instead of asking questions through face book.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 4:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2013