Anyone know how to care for grapevines?

Wondering if I need to water my grapes. The vines run along the fenceline. Look healthy. Lots of grapes.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yes watering is a good idea
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Awww, here I thought you were wondering how to start a new gossip chain in your new neighborhood! lol :p

I suck when it comes to taking care of plants. Hope Dard is right. If in doubt, call your local nursery & see what they say. Are the grapes any good? They're selling for almost $2.00/lb. up here, so you're lucky if you can eat them. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Organic gardening dot com
    You can put in any plant and get back answers.
    You can call 211 and find out how to get ahold of your local home extension service and give them a call
    You can call or visit a local nursery
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• No, you don't need to water them - grapes and figs are two things that survive very well on their own. Watering, especially at this time of year, tends to water down the sugar content. OTOH, it's a good idea to cut off all of the straggling branches - they take all the nutrition away from the grapes. Also, if there are any small, puny bunches, cut them off too. No point in draining the goodness to the weak parts when you have lovely bunches in the making. Any idea what variety they are?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Concord I think
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• You lucky one for having that, I agree with goldpandora's advice. I had a concord grape vine that was lush but a possum would always eat the grapes off the vine.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2013