Can anyone help me decipher this homework assignment?

The teacher sent home a composition book cut in half with these instructions:

Students: Please write a letter to your parents about something you learned this week. Return on Monday.

Parents: I encourage you to write back to your child in order to help them remember all of the great learning we're doing in 3rd grade.

Seems simple enough but I am probably over-thinking it. Last week was the first week at school and it was only 1 1/2 days. They worked more on routine and getting to know each other than anything else. so my son wrote about how he got to know his classmates and the information he shared with his classmates.

Anyways, not sure exactly what to write or how me writing back would "help him remember all of the great learning that he is doing in 3rd grade". Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to do it, just not sure what exactly or specifically I am suppose to say. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 6:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe it's an assignment to see which kids' parents are more invested/involved. You know to involve the parents, and kind of see that parents know what their children are learning. ???? That is just a guess, though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• How would you answer the letter he wrote you if he was away at school?? This is a great exercise as letter writing is a lost art! My DD had to write a letter to her teacher in a comp book on Thursday of every week. The topic was given to them each week. It was awesome!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I think that's a great idea. I would love for my 3rd grader to do that this year, but he's homeschooled.

I would write back that you know he's going to have a great year with all his new/old friends.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• "That's great that you got to see some old friends & make some new ones. Do you remember all their names yet? This will be like a 2nd family for you this year. I hope you all have a wonder year in 3rd grade."
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I agree that it sounds like a way for the teacher to see who is involved (and who STAYS involved) and who isn't. I think the idea that it will help them remember more is that if they take the time to write to you, and you take the time to write back, the excitement of having you respond will cause the things they wrote about to stick in their minds more.

I would write something about how happy you are that he saw old friends and made new ones, and that you're proud of him for working so hard to get to know his new classmates and teacher.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Along with the other great ideas, maybe say something about how important friends and classmates are, both in school and in life. Getting to know other people, remembering their names and what matters to them, and collaborating on projects in school and having fun together are all crucial skills that will last him a lifetime.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• You can write back about how happy you are that he had a good week and that you remember your first days of school. I LOVE this idea by the way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• For one thing it is reinforcement.You are showing that you support his learning and that writing is important to you.

For another it builds communication.

What can you write about? How about how happy imade you to see how excited he was to begin school. Tell him how proud you are of all the new skills he is learning.
    I
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2013