How far do you go with "couponing"?

Let's just say you discovered you had a coupon that would let you buy a single bar of soap for free. Would you run out to the store just to get that one bar of soap? When do you use coupons?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2013 in Shopping

• Im pretty cheap. I wouldn't make a special trip for it but I'm usually in town for something and I'd stop if I were out anyway.

I was using coupons on a regular basis but it got to be too much of a hassle. If a product isn't on sale then you can usually find the store brand cheaper than the name brand with the coupon. There are some online sites that will have lists of store deals where you can use coupons on sale items but its still time consuming. I was using online coupons and stacking them with the newspaper coupons and using them on sale items. I was saving about $20 every grocery shop, sometimes more. I love when stores have B1G1 items and I can use coupons. But, it takes money to stock up on sale items when you don't need them right away. When I have extra grocery money I can stock up on lots of stuff this way. It comes in handy, too, when its time to donate to food drives.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I don't use them much anymore. I've found I can usually get store brand products cheaper than name brand even with a coupon, and my store has great weekly specials. I mainly shop those.

Answer by missanc at 5:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I use them if I already happen to be going to the store and run across them online or somewhere, or sometimes I might go if I've heard about a good sale, like I went to King Sooper's this weekend because packages of frozen vegetables were ten for $10. Bt I don't plan my life around coupons or go out of my way to find them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• Uhhhuh. I would have 12 of the coupons too ;)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I almost never use them anymore- I rarely ever find any for things we actually use or eat, and the ones you DO find aren't that great- it's like save 30 cents when you buy 2 or some crap!

*I used to use them a lot more say...10 yrs ago
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2013

• I'd just forget about it until it had expired, just like I do with all other coupons.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• It depends. Will the coupon expire before the next time I go shopping? Do I need the bar of soap right now and was going to go get it anyway? Is it an expensive brand or is there something else about it that makes it special and worth running out for?

For the most part, I try to keep my coupons organized enough that I can keep track of when they expire, and use them before they do. And I do use them, but I'm not extreme about them. Some weeks I use enough of them to get some amazing savings, other weeks I don't have any. It all depends. Unless there's a new product I want to try that has a coupon, I never clip coupons for something I don't already use.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2013