What are the needs of breastfeeding women in a disaster situation?

I hear complaints online all the time from people saying that we need to send breastfeeding support in a disaster. So other then the needs of every person for shelter,medical attention, food, water, and cleanliness. What are the special needs specific to a breastfeeding woman in that situation?

I'm putting out feelers for writing a paper on the topic of families in disaster situations.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• What comes to mind for me is water. That's all they need.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have no idea.. sorry,,, I kind of don't understand the question fully ??? Women that breastfeed need special treatment or something in time of disasters ( tornados or something??)
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I know when I was nursing, the breast that did not have a baby attached would leak horribly. So some cloth diapers, or other clean towel/rag like absorbent material would be good.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• blankets to cover up with (light weight so baby doesn't sweat too much), lotion or some sort of cream for nipples, burp cloth,
    rocking chair
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 1:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Lanolin, I guess. Everybody needs water, and mothers of infants in general need blankets, burp cloths, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• maybe some breast pumps
    hand pumps as the electric ones would be be useful (assuming electricity is down)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have never heard such a thing. I think breast feeding women would have it easier in a disaster. They don't need a refrigerator.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Maybe the people you hear complaining online are specifically aware of breastfeeding as an "issue" to support, thus are specifically conscious of that angle when confronting disaster situations? They are thinking about the breastfeeding women involved in the disaster area & it's about broadening perspective, rather than implying that there are specific, unique needs of breastfeeding mothers apart from the basic human need for food, clean water, etc.
    Perhaps the "breastfeeding support" they are talking about is in reaction to disaster relief efforts that send lots of formula, bottles, bottled water, etc. with the express purpose of "helping babies affected by the disaster," and these people are concerned that the standard response to affected infants will be to provide bottles & formula, so they want to call for awareness & a more nuanced response.
    Not sure but I wouldn't assume the comments assert "special needs" for bf moms.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2013