I assumed tomatoes dropped seeds to reproduce

I planted flowers in a pot on my porch,and tomatoes came up,lol
My next door neighbor is growing tomatoes. Do they shoot out spores or something? (tomatoes,not my neighbors)
I planted 3 types of flowers. I doubt they screwed up at the seed company and put tomato seeds in 3 different packets instead of flower seeds

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• There's a name for that, when seeds come up that you didn't plant. I wish I could think of it. Kind of freaky, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Birds eat tomatoes and then poop in your flowerpots. Result: tomato plants a'growing there!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• No, tomato plants don't shoot seeds nor spores. You grow them from the seeds inside the fruit. If tomatoes came up it's more likely that someone had thrown a half-eaten tomato in your flower bed ... Also likely is that your neighbour sowed his seeds on a windy day. Another possibility is that someone sowed tomato seeds in your garden as a prank. Finally, tomatoes may have been grown in that place in the past (and this is probably the most likely one) and grew this year because there are ALWAYS tomatoes that fall to the ground, get forgotten, trampled, etc. The seeds just stay in the soil until the right time the following year.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• It could also be the dirt. Do you use compost? My neighbors grow random tomato plants in their compost pile because they throw tomatoes in there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• we had three tomato plants pop up where we did not plant any
    assume it was seed scatters like chipmunk or last years plants- as some of the fruit do hit the ground -again those chipmunks to blame

these three that came up are very small and do not look like they will get large enough to produce fruit
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• They do. I suspect seed scatter. I've had it happen a few times with tomatoes and also chile. The wind catches them and they move on.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• An animal must have pooped in your dirt. That is one way to get random seeds.

Answer by louise2 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I found it odd that they'd start growing in the pots instead of in my yard. Better soil I suppose. Those are some determined fruits!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Well those scenarios make it even weirder
    The pot is only 7" by 12"

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Aug. 12, 2013

• no compost,just Miracle Gro potting soil
    I suppose if the mix got some seeds in it....

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2013