Anyone's child have CHIARI?

Grandbaby was recently diagnosed, had never heard of it. Just curious if anyone else is dealing with it.

luvmygrandgirl

Asked by luvmygrandgirl at 12:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Sorry you are going through this. I don't know anything about Chiari.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have never heard of it either. So sorry Luv, HUGS.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Thanks ladies, its all fine right now. Just some changes in what she can and cant do to keep her from injuring herself and tons of doctor appts. On a good note the school called today to ask me what "I need" from them to make sure she has a safe and happy year. Thought that was pretty cool.
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• That is awesome luv, you have one of the good schools then!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I'm sorry about your grandchild. I've never heard of that condition.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• What type is it Luv? I only know a little about it as it's fairly uncommon. I'm thinking Type I is the more common of them all. Is there a support group online you could participate in?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy, it is Chiari Malformation 1 right now. She has a 5mm compression of the tonsils and a small syrinx on her spine. For now we are not terribly symptomatic. Waiting on some tests results to decide if she needs intervention or if we have to consider surgery.

I am a part of a support group, it seems much more common now that we know what it is so I was curious to see if any moms here deal with it. Seems not though.
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Yeah, I think it's being diagnosed a lot more often now. <> I'm sorry for this but at least you know. It's easier to deal with stuff head on
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Ack. HTML fail.....(hugs)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Hope she has a great year at school
    Trini

Answer by Trini at 3:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2013