How much are hot lunches at your child's school?

My daughter's are $1.60 a day. They look fairly healthy, not a lot of deep fried crap, and with fresh fruit and veggies and the pint of milk, I don't think I could replicate the same level of nutrition for that price by sending food from home. That's if she eats the food, which remains to be seen.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• its around $1.60 but im not positive b/c we will get free/reduced lunch. the lunches are really good since they did away with the overly processed pre-packaged crap. everything is cooked at the school and fresh fruit & veggies come from local farms. they still have the staple meals (pizza, burgers, corn dogs) but its freshly made.

and its (almost) free...so...no complaints!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I don't think I could replicate the same level of nutrition for that price by sending food from home.

Of course you can. All it takes is some planning and a little effort. Buying the ingredients on your own in bulk amounts is always going to be cheaper than paying for individual portions and paying for someone to prepare them for you, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have yet to see a school lunch that is nutritious, it might not be fried but it is still crap.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I don't remember how much it was when my kids were at school but when I cared for my granddaughter it was about $2.00. That said, she could only buy twice a month. I found it cheaper to make her lunch and I felt better knowing that I knew all the ingredients that she was eating. Like NP said, I bought in bulk and was able to make very good, nutritious food for pennies on the dollar. Plus, I was home anyway so I felt like I should just make it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• lunch is 2.65
    Milk or juice to go with is .50

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• $1.95 for lunch, includes milk and plenty of fresh stuff.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Regular lunch is 2.50. The al a carte is 2.00 for a slice of pizza, egg roll, chicken strips and doesn't include the milk.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I honestly have no idea. He stopped buying a couple of years ago. They have a microwave the students can use, so he usually takes leftovers.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• $2.21
    I'm not sure yet. He's moved on to middle school and they have a different menu

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• $2.50 I think. They have an okay menu. They have 3 entree options each day and while they do chicken nuggets and pizza occasionally they also sub turkey for ground beef in burgers, chili, etc. and use brown rice instead of white. Always fruit and veggie options.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2013