One thing your DH does with kids you don't approve of?

When I leave my kids with DH he allows them to watch tv all day long and gives them junk food.

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 1:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• Nothing, he is a responsible parent.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• The Ex let him play some Xbox games I don't approve of. He finally got it through his head they aren't appropriate so now we are on the same page again.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Worst I can think of is he lets him brush his own teeth. I like to do it myself.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I can't really think of anything. Mainly he's not "there" when he's home. There's a difference between being in the same room and interacting with the kids and being engrossed in his computer or iPad.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• My husb & I are on the same page when it comes to parenting. My boys' father, on the other hand, used to do all kinds of crap when they were younger. He'd let them watch inappropriate shows, (like South Park), eat raw hamburger & sat behind them & held up their hands on the roller coasters. It took a looong time before I could get them on another ride after that. :/ Oh yeah, & once on the 4th of July, he allowed my youngest son, who was 4 y/o at the time, run around drinking from everyone's drinks, so he was actually tipsy when I picked him up for fireworks. They could've used my head to light the fuse!!!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• He's more quick to get impatient and raise his voice than I am, and a little less likely to back up the threats he makes when he does get impatient, but it's more just a difference in style than something I disapprove of. He used to have a terribly bad habit of being in the same room but not really being there, but that's gotten better as my daughter gets older and able to do more activities and things.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• just how he jumps into arguments (usually between the kids) and has NO idea what is going on- then things tend to get pretty ugly before they get better...

as far as leaving him alone with them though? Never had any issues
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Nothing. He's more open to playing with them when he's home, I'm a SAHM so I'm here but usually washing dishes, mopping floor, etc. my dh is a big kid!

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• he watches him watch abc videos on ipad and use the kids apps (supervised ofcourse). watch tv for more than i allow. and give him more than 1 juice box day which i also don't approve of.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• He and I disagree about some things & have different tolerance levels for things. Our kids understand this. I don't like everything he decides or does. But "disapproval" isn't relevant for either of us--we just have our reactions & preferences, we don't "disapprove."

He has some general tendencies that I don't like, but I understand what plays into it & I definitely respect his right to his comfort zone AND to his personal limits & his own way of relating to our kids. One of those things is his tendency to say things like "Careful! You could fall/you might get hurt!" when he perceives something as dangerous or risky. I wish he'd respond to his concern by calling the child's attention to their own sense of balance (etc.) instead. Or else "own" his concern personally ("I'm not comfortable with that," "I want you to get down.") He also tends to add "Okay?" to phrases when he isn't truly "checking in" or asking for agreement! lol
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2013