Dentist question

Does your pediatric dentist have a policy stating that all kids have to receive some sort of sedation before even simple things like fillings?

My kids' dentist apparently does. My son needs a silver crown and my daughter needs a filling. My insurance won't cover this sedative and when I asked if they could just have it done with local or nitrous, the dentist told me he requires sedation.

Obviously I am looking for a different dentist. I'm not as comfortable with the idea of them being drugged like that as I thought I would be. To me, it's a form of chemical restraint and a way to get money.

I've been to different dentists in different states and this is the first ever.

Izsarejman

Asked by Izsarejman at 2:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• absolutely not, I would def go somewhere else.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I never sent my Son to a Pediatric Dentist. He has always gone to a regular Dentist who works on children too. He's 6 & had a cavity filled a few months ago & they used Novocaine. First they numbed the area with a numbing gel then used the needle. He didn't even flinch & was fine. Does your Dentist treat kids? Call & ask.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Thats bull crap. Call Dr. Michael Yost and see if he takes your insurance. He's located on south military drive. Not the best area of SA, but nice staff and office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• South Texas Dental is also really good. They haven office near you. There is another great office in Boerne too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have never heard of sedation other than oral surgery.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• It's not sitting right with me at all. They haven't been to the dentist enough to be afraid of the drill. They get their check ups and cleanings. They don't need Versed for a filling. I could see if they needed a bunch of teeth pulled or something. But it just seems like he wants them drugged to make his job easier. That bugs me and scares me.

Thanks anon. I live on the NW side.

My dentist is next door to theirs and doesn't take kids.
    Izsarejman

Comment by Izsarejman (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• He's a pediatric general dentist and charges $137 for a dose of oral versed which is not covered by insurance. Win win for him. He can profit and his little patients are drugged into submission so he can treat them as fast as he can and get as many in as possible.

I see what is going on here and I'm looking for another dentist.
    Izsarejman

Comment by Izsarejman (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• It is NOT a requirement for my dentist. It is a choice.

I choose it for my older son when he was younger because he was very combative with the dentist. He has autism and has a lot of oral issues. He receives Nitrous Oxide for when the needed a cavity filled. He used to get a medication that I would give him about an hour for his visit to help calm him as well, but he hasn't needed that as the Nitrous has been fine. He only needs it when he needs a cavity filled. He does fine now with regular exams.

It is a need for some and not just a 'chemical restraint'. But it should a a choice the parent makes and not one the dentist insists needs to occur.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• His office said that he requires his patients to be sedated. Not just with nitrous. Not local. Why make the oral drugs the first line in treatment? Why not see how they react first and if they don't tolerate the procedure to try something else? Why give them the drugs based on the assumption all kids are going to bite, not hold still, cry, etc?

That's what bothers me. If I ask for it or they offer, great. If they say its a requirement and his office policy, then that's a problem. Especially when it isn't covered by the insurance they accept.

Izsarejman

Comment by Izsarejman (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2013