How do I get my three year old to wear glasses

My 3 year old has had glasses for about a year. He hates them and won't wear them at all. At first he would some but now if you take them out of the case he cries. His problem is farsightedness(can't see up close). This is making his eyes cross. Problem is when they cross he see's fine, so you can't explain the need for glasses. To him it is just easier to cross his eyes and he has no problem with that. I have tried bribery to taking away toys and he still won't wear them. Any suggestions????

twokidsmom0310

Asked by twokidsmom0310 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Could you try having him wear them for a while, then setting a timer when he wants to take them off, so that after a minute or two the timer rings and he has to put them back on? Also, are you sure they don't hurt behind his ears or on the bridge of his nose, which would make him hate them?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• Have you tried the "sports" kind that fit like goggles?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• I have been wearing glasses since I was 3. Here is my best suggestions:

1)Make Certain his prescription is correct. Take them to the eye doctor and make sure the lenses match the prescription that they wrote. A lens that is off even by a little can make him feel sick or dizzy. Yes screw ups happen. Often.
    2)Make sure they fit properly. They may pinch his nose or hurt the tops of his ears. His eye lashes may touch the lenses and bothering him. They may be too heavy for him... any number of things.
    3)Once you know 1 and 2 are not the problem, make it matter of fact. You need glasses to see. So if you want to watch TV, read books, color or play on the computer then you will need to have them on. So if you want to see your favorite shows today or you want me to read you a story then I will need to see your glasses on your face. This is NOT to be a threat or punishment for not wearing them. This is just a fact.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

• They make a strap that goes around the back of their head to keep the glasses on. Make sure they fit properly and are not pinching anywhere. I had glasses starting at 4 years old. I used to dig holes in my grandma's garden and "plant" my glasses.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2013