Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can't decide to send son to school this year or next?? HELP

My sons birthday is on Sep 3 he would be starting school the same day and turning 5!!! to young?? he is still so much a baby yet. he's smaller than other kids in class and emotionally def. not ready but knows abc's counts whatnot... but don't wanna see him struggle. and hes scared to death to get on bus alone and be without me. he been in pre-k and will be going back if he doesn't start this year

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (21)
  • If it were me I'd let him wait. However, make sure you're letting him wait because it's best for him, not best for you because you'll miss him.

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • If you don't think he is emotionally mature enough then hold him back. Otherwise it is going to be a very rough year.

    Answer by kmath at 9:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • My daughter held my grandson back, The cut off here was Dec 1 his birthday is 11/1. It is the best thing she did. He is going into 2nd grade and is doing great. He would have been the youngest in the class and the smallest.

    Answer by DJDNY at 9:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • It you know he's not ready, please don't send him! Many parents who have kids with later birthdays are holding them back, which I think is smart. Another year of preschool isn't going to hurt him, but it might cause serious problems to send him to kindergarten too soon.

    Answer by missanc at 9:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • If it were my son I'd send him.... b/c my son was more then ready even with his august birthday. But I consulted his pre-school teachers and the a few professionals in the school system. Ask to have him evaled for readiness... that will help you make this decision.


    Answer by Crafty26 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • It might be better to put him in a preschool for a few days a week instead. The question is, is he not ready to go or are you not ready to let go?

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • I think that if he is not emotionally ready I would also hold him back, better to be on the safe side and get another year of preschool under him.

    Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • Thanks for the advice, my husband says it's basically up to me. I have been struggling with the choice thought he was ready but have noticing when I pay close attention to him how much he really does need to mature.

    Comment by missy152 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • My son is September 9 and I held him back. He's going into 2nd now and I'm still happy with my decision. The older grade seems much older. I asked a lot of teachers and they all said its better to hold them. Good luck.

    Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

  • You could also talk to the school and see if they can evaluate whether or not he is ready for school. If he is your first you may not feel that he is ready even if he is. Talk to his preschool teacher and see what she thinks since she spends all day with him in a school environment.

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.