Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i drop the divorce i filed for?

i filed for a divorce 11 montha ago. my attorney has not done a thing, not even prepared the divorce papers. we had a hearing & my hopful ex ask for time to get an attorney. He has drug his feet for every excuse he can to keep from dealing with the divorce, even though he has another woman in his life. but most importantly "MY" attorney will not handle the business at i want to drop the divorce. ill refile again with another attorney...tell me how to go about this, please & thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • just advise your attorney you are no longer persuing the divorce. He may charge you the retainer fee, but if he hasnt done anything you may be able to fight it. Most divorces are over in 6 months, 11 months and no papers he hasnt earned a dime as farasim concerned. good luck

    Answer by desperateat48 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • You don't refile. You fire your attorney.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • My ex fired his attorney. No papers had to be refiled.

    Answer by rhope4 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • true, there is no need to refile. Once filed it's filed. Just fire one atty and hire another one to take over. I'd hire the new one and make sure you like him then fire the old one. The new atty will probably send a letter telling the first atty that he/she is taking over the case. If they want you to contact the first atty the new one will tell you but don't drop the case itself.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.