Baby boy developing an attitude...what can I do to stop this?

My 11 month old, almost 1 year old, has recently been developing quite the attitude when things are taken away that he shouldn't have, when he wants something he can't have, when he's ready to leave a store, etc. It can be hard to deal with and embarrassing at times. What can I do to stop this before it continues through toddler-hood?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 7:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you never give back anything youve taken away so he knows his screaming doesn't do him any good. If he throws tantrums in the store, put anything he wanted back. Yes it'll cause more screaming the first couple times but in the future he'll know if he throws tantrums he won't get anything. Be consistent. Don't give in no matter how much you want to.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Don't give in no matter what! That just shows him if he screams and protests hard enough, you'll give him what he wants. You have to remain steady too...you can't some times follow through with NO then some times give in! Also time out's..when he's naughty tell him WHY he's being placed in time out. After you sit him out for about 15 minutes, let him go back to what he was doing..if he does it again, time out again! He's going to see a pattern, that it's not ok to do what he was doing. Time out should be in a play pen, because he's 1 he won't stay on a chair or sit some place without getting up..that or his crib. You just have to stick to it, be firm. If you are shopping, toys etc...make sure you say NO and ignore his tantrum! DON'T try to silence him because your in public either, cause he'll figure he can do it every time! Hope this helps, not much else you can do with a almost 1 yr old.

Anonymous

• We are going through the same thing and ours in almost 8 mos. What we are trying and it seems to be working, is ignoring the temper tantrum. In the stores I look at her and say NO very sternly and she looks at me inquisitively and I repeat the NO and it stops the tantrum from starting. You have to figure out what works, b/c he is trying to push you buttons and you have to stop it. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I also want to say Kudos to you for stopping it now. Too many parents wait until 2,3,4...and up and just blame it on their age.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think this is a phase for little boys! Can't wait until I have to deal with it personally. ;)
    Anyways, definately do not give the item back to quell him. And explain to him in a firm voice, getting down on his level, why you've taken it away, and that if he changes his behavior, he may (depending on the situation) may get it back.
    There's always another approach... mimic exactly what he's doing. He might look at you like you're crazy, and then realize that's how he looks as well, and stop. lol.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Children that age only know what they want and they want it RIGHT now! This is totally normal. The other responses are spot on. Don't give in. They will learn that the tantrum wont get them what they want. This doesn't mean you wont revisit this in the future. It seems that just about the time the behavior is great, they revisit some challenging stage. Consistency is the key. Also, I had to realize that sometimes saying yes is OK too. I do this if they have asked appropriately and we have discussed getting something from the store before hand. My kids know we will leave the store if they continue to beg after being told no. Mine are old enough to beg :) My 8 year old actually told a friend of hers who was shopping with us that they definitely wouldn't get anything if they didn't stop begging. I smiled on the inside!!!!
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009