Surprised this wasn't posted - Florida sinkhole at Disney

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/52739627/

Friend of mine works at the resort where it happened, just got home and posted about his day feeding refugees at work.  He said they shut down a huge part of the resort and all the restaurant staff was squeezed into the one kitchen left open to help take care of them. There's a video at the link, and his description didn't do the images justice, but it sounds like a crazy day.

This isn't a FL bashing thing, but serious question - would you reconsider moving there (or one of the other states succeptible, they're listed in the video) because of it, or take your chances like hurricane and tornado prone areas?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• We have sinkholes frequently due to mine subsidence's. One just opened up behind KFC last week. No chickens were harmed, but they had to close the drive thru for a day.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Actually I would still consider moving there and plan to at some point in my life. It can't be any worse than where I already live.

Great images though....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't move to Florida. I've had enough hot weather to last me several lifetimes. I can control not living in hot weather but I can't control sinkholes. I lived in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius for 3 years. It never erupted though it is "past due" for an event.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I've never had any desire to live there. However, our neighbor's had a sinkhole in their yard that opened up their basement. They could literally walk out of the basement wall and look up at the rest of the yard. They were lucky it wasn't worse than it was. I'd definitely want to avoid living in places that were more suceptible to sinkholes.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• We have several in our local area as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I do live in FL (and btw, hurricanes are an issue, too! lol)

I know sinkholes are a possibility, but it's kind of like a hurricane or a lightning strike - it might happen, but if I live my life in fear that it will, I might as well wrap myself in bubble wrap and hide in a padded room somewhere.

No matter where you live, there's always some kind of natural disaster that could happen - sinkholes, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, tsunamis, mudslides, flooding, whatever. Basically, you just have to decide which ones you're most willing to live with and then deal with it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• sinkholes, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, tsunamis, mudslides, flooding, whatever

Sinkholes seem scarier to me because they're unpredictable. Except in rare circumstances, if there's a tornado or an ice storm headed for my house, I know about it before it happens. Hurricanes get days of warning. A sinkhole is just do de do minding my own business HOLY SHIT MY HOUSE IS GONE.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Sinkholes seem scarier to me because they're unpredictable. Except in rare circumstances, if there's a tornado or an ice storm headed for my house, I know about it before it happens. Hurricanes get days of warning. A sinkhole is just do de do minding my own business HOLY SHIT MY HOUSE IS GONE. True. But hurricanes - you have to remember that we're used to the idea of them. There's a lot of people (even me sometimes) that get lax because there's been X storms this season that haven't come anywhere near us even though they said they would, so when we hear that this one will, we're just like "yeah, whatever" and then a few days later, we're in the yard going "oh, shit, they weren't kidding." lol I do get your point, though, and yeah, they are more unpredictable. There can sometimes be warning signs, though, for those who are aware of them. Check out page 10 of

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• this brochure.

Stupid answer cut it off.

wendythewriter

• We recently moved to Florida, and yeah, this kind of thing is worrisome. My city hasn't taken a direct hit by a hurricane in 47 years, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. There was an F2 tornado that touched down about 5 mis from home a couple weeks ago.

I have lots of insurance in case of the worse. Most people I know stock up on disaster supplies.

There are few areas that are disaster free. Phoenix is one, but I couldn't take that level of heat.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2013