Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can i get my tubes tied without general anesthesia (going under)?

I have read that they can do it while I still have my epidural after I gave birth or they could give me a spinal the next day instead of putting me to sleep and do it. I'm just so scared to be put to sleep :(

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • Are you having a c-section? That's usually when it's done right after birth. You are in the OR, opened, tubes visible, sterile, prepped, etc. Two birds with one stone kind of thing.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 12:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • No not planned anyway :/ so it can't be done with a vaginal birth?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • Or could I request a c section for that reason ya think? I dont really want a c section and my placenta is anterior so I don't think that would be a good idea..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • It depends on the dr and the type of hospital. My kids were born in a catholic hospital and the policy was that they wouldn't perform a tubal unless the woman's life was in danger or if she was already opened up for a c-section.
    I ended up having to have my tubal done in a different city due to the policy of the hospital here.

    Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • A tubal can be done with just a local. But don't schedule a c-section just for the sake of having a tubal; that's putting you and baby at risk (and there are risks no matter whether you're awake or not).

    Alternately, get DH snipped. Less risk, less pain, shorter recovery than for you. Better choice all around. Real Men Get Snipped. **grin**

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • Usually the OR is scheduled for procedures well in advance and a tubal is an elective procedure you might have to wait until later. You don't know the exact moment your baby is going to be born. If you have to go back, say your reasoning for not wanting to be knocked our.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 1:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • You could consider ESure, which is a tube-blocking procedure done in a doctor's office.

    Answer by Ballad at 1:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • it's Essure - 


    Answer by Crafty26 at 7:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • I had my tubes tied after I had my youngest. He ended up being born by c-section because he was breech, so they put me under once he was out and did it while I was still in the OR from having him.

    If he'd been born vaginally as planned, they would have taken me into the OR the day after he was born and only done a local.

    But I think it depends on the doctor, too. You should ask your doctor how he/she specifically does it.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

  • Yes.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.