My dad is going to file a missing persons for my 19 year old brother...

Ok so, on Thursday night my brother, Phillip went to Valley fair(2 1/2 hours away) with some friends without telling anyone. He still lives with our parents. He hasn't come back. Talked to his friend that drove him there and he said that Phillip disappeared for 11 hours and then he found him sitting outside the park. Phillip said he was there the whole time. Friend told him they were leaving, Phillip refused to go. He said that he was done with our town and he was going to stay there. He also said that he knew someone 15 miles away from the park and he was gonna deal meth for him. His friend gave him some change and left. After spending a whole day walking those 15 miles he used what money he had to call our dad for a ride. dad said no. Now its 4 days later and no ones heard from Phillip. So my dad plans to file a missing persons report. Anyway my question is, can my dad do that? He's technically not missing, He made the decision to stay there and he's an adult. Can my dad get in trouble for filing a report?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 2:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• There is an advantage to having the report on file, even if they don't actively pursue it. If something happens to him and he ends up in a hospital or in jail, they'll be able to identify him, even if he refuses or is unable to tell them. From what you've said about your father, you might want to file your own report, that way if something does happen, they contact you directly, and you aren't dependent on your father to pass the info along.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Your father SHOULD file the report and no, he cannot get into trouble for doing so.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• "My brother is a little messed up and not the brightest."

All the more reason for Dad to file that report.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I hope your brother is safely found.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• You can file a report for anyone if you're concerned about their general welfare. Employers, neighbors, and friends can even do it. I hope and pray you find him well and alive. You need to get him working a job or to get in school. He needs a purpose. He sounds bored and frustrated and looking for something meaningful to do.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I hope he is found safe and sound, you could put up posters/flyers in the area he was last seen in.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• He can and should file a report - but if he doesn't want to come home, they won't force him and if he says he doesn't want your family to be told where he is, they won't tell you. They'll simply tell you he's been found and he's safe but he doesn't wish to let you know where he is.

Frankly, though, I find your dad to be a bit of a jerk. Your brother called and asked for a ride, and your dad said no. Why wasn't he concerned then? Why is he only concerned now? And why didn't he go get him?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I hope your brother is safe and will contact family soon.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• "We live in a fairly small city in Minnesota and not much goes on here. Not a whole lot of crime or anything. "

There's no such thing as a safe place, you know. Murders happen in small towns every day.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Oh and also, his friend tried to give him his cell number, in case Phillip changed his mind and wanted a ride home. But Phillip refused to take it. He said that way he wont be tempted to change his mind. He's been planning for months to just take off and walk around and hitchhike across the US. Without money or any belongings, just live off the streets. My brother is a little messed up and not the brightest. lol
    Lobelia

Comment by Lobelia (original poster) at 2:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2013