How to feed a infant, and deal with a jealous one year old.

JoshuaJoeysMom

Asked by JoshuaJoeysMom at 7:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is not a question. However, I'll answer. Is your one year old jelous because he wants to nurse to? Let him/her nurse. he probably wont' get any milk if he hasn't nursed in a while anyway as babies loose their sucking reflex when they wean. could you elaborate on the situation?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I thought about doing that. My first child will be 1 and 2 months when this next one is born (im 3 months pregnant). I didnt know if i should or not, if anyone would find it gross or wierd. But if i had been able to breast feed her the whole way though THEN it wouldnt be considered gross because i'd do that until she turned 2. So if she ever wants to then i guess i'll let her :)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If anyone finds it wierd or gross that is their problem. YOU are the mom and YOU decide whats best.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Exactly. I would just love it if she went back to nursing, i was soooo sad when we had to stop. With baby#2 i'll be breastfeeding. When the babys done i'll pump for baby#1. It would be so much less of a hastle and i'll feel closer to her if she would.
    Have you ever heard of that happening?
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well, my daughter is 13 months old and I am 26 weeks pregnant with baby number 2. When I was around 14 weeks preggo, baby number one started to wean herself. I was HEARTBROKEN. She got down to only nursing onece for like 2 minutes every few days and my milk ultamatly ran out. Now, my colustrum ahs kicked into overdrive and she is more interested. In the bath tub or when I'm wlaking around without a shirt on she will ask to nurse. She doesnt really like the taste, but is humored by the fact that stuff comes out again. I am PRAYING that when this baby comes and the milk gets sweet again, she will pick up nursing again. I've personally never encountered it with anyone I knew, but I am thinking there may be a chance. I plan on pumping milk for her if she doesn't take back to nursing. Plus, I like to have is stockpiled in the freezer in case hubby or I get sick. Breastmilk is amazing stuff. Google breastmilk remedies.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No matter if you're nursing or feeding formula (since you don't say), find a way for the toddler to help....Let him become a little involved WITH the baby throughout the day...not just with feedings. He can bring a diaper, he can get the wipes, bring a toy....just little things that are going to make him feel so important.

Also, see if you can feed the baby on one side and have the toddler sit on the other with a book...read a little picture book or something.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I totally agree with TiccledBlue, let the toddler be as involved as she wants to be. All those things OP described. Getting stuff for baby, showing baby her toys, playing with baby, supervise while your toddler gently brushes #2's hair, anything that makes her feel involved.

Be sure that you set aside time every day or every other day to spend 1 on 1 time with your toddler.

Good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Sorry, I should have been a little more informative. Our oldest son is going to 1 tommorrow, and his little brother is 3 weeks. He's still crawling , and as far as helping those skills aren't there yet.I do think keeping him busy with something is the solution. Tonight it was a bottle with juice in it, to keep him occupied.
    JoshuaJoeysMom

Answer by JoshuaJoeysMom at 9:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009