Something I read.

Someone I (personally) know belongs to an open group on facebook. He's been in a lot of physical pain for quite some time, and he posted in the group that he feels like eating a bullet.

Would it alarm you? Or would you pass it off as him just being upset, and hurting, and he was just venting?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• It would depend on the person. I have one friend who says stuff like that all the time. She's a drama queen and has been like this since high school. She says she wants to kill herself the way other people say they need a drink when they've had a rough day. So when she says it, while I certainly ask if she's all right, I don't panic and assume she's about to stick a gun to her head.

But other friends, who don't generally say things like that, yes, I would definitely be concerned and take it seriously, and I would at the very least be calling them or going to their house to make sure they were all right.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I'd take it seriously. Chronic pain has been responsible for more than a few suicides
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• My husband (fibro, chronic severe migraines (cause seizures), nerve damage, and more) has repeatedly said that he feels like just taking the gun and putting an end to the pain, but I'm the reason he doesn't. It's a heavy burden to carry, but one I gladly shoulder.

Just make sure your friend knows that he has reasons not to eat that bullet.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Let him know you are there for him if he wants to talk.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It could be serious. Chronic pain is not an easy thing to deal with.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It is a cry for help
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I'll check in on him today to see how he's doing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It depends. My ex dealt with chronic pain for most of our relationship. Sometimes he would say stuff like that when the weariness and dejection caught up with him. Whether or not your friend is in real danger, it wouldn't hurt to check in with him and see what he might need or what would distract him from his pain.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2013