What are creative uses for Facebook?

I mean other than the usual "Hi family member I haven't seen in 20 years"? Has anyone ever seen anything really creative?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Technology

• Not so much creative, but good. A friend of mine lost her husband to cancer last year, and it was a long year leading up to it. She needed a way to vent without having to deal with her family coming to rescue her or gossip if she said the wrong thing. Some friends of ours started a fb group where only people she invited were allowed in - nobody else could add members. If she was down, we could post naked fireman pics for her. If she was angry, we could all offer to come beat the crap out of whichever doctor or nurse was giving her a hard time. If she was just overwhelmed, she could scream and cry and vent and know that it wouldn't result in an overconcerned sibling or child coming over to blow it all out of proportion.

It was an instant, on demand support group every time she needed it, without ever having to worry about stepping on someone's toes in the family.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I love how the police use it to catch stupid criminals.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I don't use it creatively at all. Except I like putting hashtags on my statuses that have nothing to do with the status. #thissnowflaketasteslikefishsticks
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 12:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I was able to alert all of my teen's friends that we were looking for her.
    Kind of made it difficult for her to find a hiding place when everyone she called told her, "Call your Mom".

I've also seen the, "I was adopted, help me find my family" posts.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I've heard that some bosses use it to check and see if their "sick" employees have really been off skiing or something.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• We have a Macaroni kid chapter that keeps us up on current events in the area and does contest. Our local farmers market keeps us up to date on new vendors and who will and will not be there that week. Um... a friend of mine has an applique business on there. I am a part of a couple of mom's group and we use a 'group page' much like the answers section (ie. Mechanic recommendations favorite party venues, potty training help...). But more local! Our police department keeps us up to date on missing persons and road closures.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2013