Does Geek Squad screen their employees at all?

Lawsuit claims Best Buy Geek Squad posted customer's nude photos online

This isn't a case of someone's sexting pics being distributed, but a student who had nude reference images saved to her computer for anatomy reference in drawings.  She didn't have the option to save them elsewhere or even delete them and take new ones later, because they were saved on the hard drive, and she took the computer in because of hard drive issues.

Best Buy/Geek Squad employees copied and distributed them online (probably assuming they were already out there so someone else would get blamed if she ever found out)

It's not the first time this kind of thing has happened.  They've also been busted in the past for everything from distributing people's info to leaving a cell phone in a bathroom to take video of the homeowner in the shower.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• my ex-brother in law is a Geek Squad guy. He wouldn't ever do anything like that but sadly, there are idiots out there that would.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I never thought about that. I wouldn't have them work on my computer anyway as I have a friend who can fix it, but it wouldn't occur to me that my info wasn't safe with them. Stupid of me I know.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Can you screen for douchbaggery?
    It's a serious question.
    How do you screen someone to discover if they have hacked someone's life?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• There are jerks and crazy people in the world. I really don't think that there is a way we can weed them all out.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Can you screen for douchbaggery?

I wish!!! LOL
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Well IDK but I know Mall Security doesn't! I've seen many a felon wearing a Mall Uniform!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I don't mind taking my computer in if I have to, but I don't care to have repair people in my home. When it's unavoidable, I try to have someone else here so I'm not alone with them and somebody can keep an eye on what they're doing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I have a company that I have worked with for years that comes to my home and does all my computer work. I don't know if they are screened but it has been the same couple kids over the 6 years I have been contracting with them (the boss man is an older gentleman). I was more comfortable with a small private business then going through a big place that has a high rate of employee turn-over.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• yea, doubt it. she should invest in an external harddrive from now on. i can't stand geek squad, simple issue of plugging in something wrong, and they couldn't figure it out in 3 tries. (yep hubby updating something in his computer, plugged something in wrong, computer wouldn't start) so yea, we go to a small repair shop in the next town over, a little more pricey but def worth having someone who actually works with computers for a living, fixing our stuff. i avoid 'fail' squad, and i have told my parents and brother to do the same. i am willing to help my brother pay for repairs than having trouble with fail squad tbh (he's on a limited income)
    poor girl tho, just rude and unprofessional of geek squad and best buy as a whole. those employees should be reprimanded and retrained.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 7:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2013