Resignation law?

My last day that I was suppose to work at my job was yesterday,I put in a resignation form three weeks ago. The regional manager knew I was leaving and so they found a replacement for me,I assumed I was good to work my last day but he refused to let me come to work. I called him and asked him why he was doing this because I knew that I told him the 12th of august was my last day and I was coming into work. he told me that he wanted to discuss other positions with me. Another girl went through the same thing where she put in her notice and he tried to tell her she couldn't work,she told him that lawfully she gets to work and she told him she was coming in and she did finish out her two weeks.
So my question is since he didn't let me work my last day don't I have rights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• Good luck. I'd just let the one day go. It's not worth raising your blood pressure over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Rights to what?

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It's one day, 8 hours at the most, you would spend more in lawyer's fees than you would get back if you tried to sue them for it. I think it is petty and if your next employer finds out about it, makes you look bad.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• your state's labor board would have the best information
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• So what do you want? You can't get the day back, you don't work for that company anymore. I don't understand what you are looking for if you aren't trying to get money for that day from them and that would require suing them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• They will pay you for your hours worked as always. The company accepts your resignation and most people give two weeks notice as a courtesy. The company may or may not take you up on the notice. Many companies do not because you may be a hostile former employee at that point and it is better for them for you to leave before you actually planned to do. You gave your notice and they can put that into effect at any point from the time they receive your resignation. They did not fire you. The allowed you to terminate your employment.
    You do not get extra "rights" for that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Here in CA they are required to hand you your check on your last day. So you'd have had to get it yesterday if that was your last day. They're only required to pay you hours actually worked and any outstanding vacation time.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• As an at will employee, they can technically tell you you're done the day you hand in your resignation. Even if they do, however, you resigned, they didn't fire you.

You can try to fight it, but I'm almost positive you'll lose.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• rights to work or be paid
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I wouldnt sue
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2013