how are you suppose to potty train a 3 year old if she completely refuses big girl panties?

aubnnat1012

Asked by aubnnat1012 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't focus on the pants/diapers, but rather what is expected and the new skill you are teaching. Children do not have to be wearing something different to learn the skill. The little boy I just helped train used diapers the entire time until he "got" it. My own boys switched to underwear once they really understood it all.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• The easiest way to potty train is to no longer offer pull-ups.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• No more diapers, no more pull ups. It's big girl panties or nothing. While training you won't leave the house much anyway for a few days. After that when you have to go somewhere its big girl panties or she stays home (not really, but I'm not above pretending like I'm leaving which makes my son move out the door even when he doesn't want to go or telling my little ones we're going to the grocery store to get lollipops [and a few other things!])

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• My dd was fine going potty while still wearing pull-ups. She didn't like panties either.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Who is the parent?
    My kids did not get to refuse .
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I would just throw away all pull ups and tell her this is her only choice!!! I never put pull ups on my little boy and he was potty trained in a week!!!
    meller02

Answer by meller02 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• First of all- you have turned potty training into a power struggle and you are going to loose. Why? Because you can not physically force someone to do something with their body they don't want to do. The number one thing you can do right now to help her and help yourself is to just back off. Completely stop asking, suggesting,begging and bribing her to potty train. My guess is she is able to grasp the concept of using the potty just fine. So back off and let her take care of it. For a week or two let it be and say nothing. then slowly start asking her if she wants to go potty. If she says no- go with it. If she says yes- praise her. Let her feel in control of the situation. The longer you try to force it the longer it will take.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I completely agree with But_Mommie. Potty training in my house failed miserably until my daughter decided she was ready to be a big girl. Then we were done in ten days, out of pull-ups, and she never looked back. But till the idea was hers, forget about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I think pull-up can hinder potty training , it certainly did with my dd. One day my dh dressed her and he just put panties on her because he couldn't find the pull-ups .I didn't know she didn't have pull-ups on until she asked to go potty in the store. LOL she was almost 3 at the time.
    Trini

Answer by Trini at 2:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2013