Would you...

Would you let your 2 year old play up stairs by themselves? I have a two story townhouse and my child's bedroom is upstairs as are our office and master bed room. While I can hear everything going on upstairs I just don't feel safe letting her run around unsupervised upstairs regardless of my use of child gates. So to combat boredom we rotate throughout the day on where we play, sometimes downstairs sometimes upstairs. To my question, yesterday we had a play date and my good friend wanted me to leave the children upstairs alone so we could have some quiet adult conversation. I refused and she got upset called me overbearing and left promptly. Her child is a little older, she's 3. I still feel that is to young to just have run of a whole floor. Was I being silly to not let them play alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I don't think. I wouldn't leave a kids that young alone. Too many things could happen. Way to go for sticking your ground!
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 7:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Not much of a good friend that she didn't respect your decision for something going on in your own house.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• no i wouldnt but my son loves climbing the stairs and i always have to stop what im doing to get him down and he always finds a way to go back up and yes i do put the gates
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I wouldnt let them play by themselves either, kids can get into things so qucikly and baby gates are not always gonna protect them
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My almost 3yo plays upstairs in her brother and sister's room all the time. Her room (and my room) are on the 1st floor where the living room is at but the older kids' room is upstairs. She goes up there when they are at school and plays with their toys. I never thought much about it. The bathroom is up there, too, and she is potty trained so she goes up there like a dozen times a day anyway and on the way back she stops in their room to play. Plus my dad's room is up there so she goes up there to hang out with him a lot. We haven't used baby gates since last summer (she turned 2 last April).
    When my older kids were toddlers they never went upstairs. There was no reason to. Back then our room was upstairs and there was another bathroom on the 1st floor so they never had a reason to be upstairs unless my dad let them in his room which didn't happen a lot.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No i think you were right. Especially if your child is young - as in 3 and under. Sheesh, that lady needs some help!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't see why she thinks you're overbearing. I mean, hell, I put my girls down for their nap today and it was quiet, so I thought they were asleep. I peeked in to check on them (keep in mind, from the time I laid them down to the time I checked was about 10 minutes) and my 2 year old had figured out how to scale the changing table and was "styling" her hair with A&D ointment!!!!! They can get into anything at that age. I think you're smart for wanting to keep an eye on her!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Do what you feel is right, you know your child better than anyone and if you don't feel that they are ready to play alone upstairs then don't let them.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No. And its really nothing to do with the stairs for me...its more of the lack of supervison. My son (2 yrs)is smart but, that doesn't mean hes ready to play out of eye/ear shot. Can't tell you how many accidents I've prevented because he got 'too' quiet...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't think I let my son start playing by himself in his room (also upstairs) until he was about 3. He was able to follow basic rules like playing quietly in his room (not running around) and he knew that if he talked, I would hear and respond (thanks to the monitor). If your friend couldn't talk while the kids were around, then it sounds like her motivation wasn't to talk to you so much as it was just to have time away from her child - so not that much of a friend, IMO.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009