Have you ever gotten a virus and suspected it was from this site?

Just had some random program try to download something while this was open, and then I have had other issues as well with viruses after responding to messages. Am I nuts or has anyone else known/suspected the same?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in About CafeMom

• No, but if you aren't using an adblocker on your computer, there's a very remote possibility of getting one from clicking a banner ad (it would have to be a very specific set of circumstances for that to happen - the ad host being compromised, your other security programs allowing the page to load despite being infected, and you clicking through whatever other boxes were needed).

More likely you aren't running strict enough security on your system and clicked something that wasn't on CM (meaning somewhere with less reputable advertising servers), and it will continue to plague you until you do a full clean on your system. That doesn't mean just running a virus scan, but either locating and running the utility designed for the exact virus you have, or worst case, formatting the machine.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• One time several years ago I swear up and down that the virus my comp had came from this site. When I contacted them about it they of course denied it. When I asked about it in Answers- several other moms had noticed the same issues.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• When I asked about it in Answers- several other moms had noticed the same issues.

Before they changed profiles, there used to be a way for people to post images on their profile that would automatically launch an attack via embedded code. The question of whether the people who had them did it unwittingly or intentionally was never addressed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I've had my computer act up while using this site before. But I have some good protection, run a lot of scans & delete all cookies & history whenever I exit the internet.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I have not, but I have pretty robust security on my comp. What anti malware and anti virus are you using?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Never had a problem like that... but i do use an ad blocker though
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Can't say that I have...
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Nope
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Nothing from this site.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 9:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• No.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2013