What's in a name?

Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

NEWPORT, Tenn. — A Tennessee mother is appealing a court's decision after a judge ordered her son's name be changed from "Messiah."

Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

That is when the first name came into question.

clicky

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2641313

Was the judge right or wrong?  

Why would a parent choose such a name?  

What about all those hispanic boys named "Jesus"?  

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• i dont see how separation of church & state doesnt apply here. do we get to throw it out the window whenever we feel like it?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• i mean, you know it wouldn't be an issue if she wanted to name her child Thor or Odin.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Judge is way wrong. Parents have the right to name their kid whatever they want. And given that the case was about the child's LAST name, the judge was way out of line.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It's as wrong as it can be. People should have the right to name a child without court intervention, and I hope the decision is appealed. I saw in a spin-off story somewhere that 'Messiah' is on the SSA's list of names that are growing the fastest in popularity.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I think the judge was wrong, they should be changing all the ones named after cars, lol!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1347235/Should_US_judges_be_allowed_to_change_a_babys_given_name_because_they_deem_it_offensive?cat_id=&order=&next=21

Not trying to be rude- but if you would like to read more responses on this topic, here's a link to a post about it from a day or so ago.  I think most agreed (myself included) that the Judge overstepped in this case. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• What about all those hispanic boys named "Jesus"?

What about the Muslim boys names Isa?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I've been following this story and it really burns my ass. That judge had absolutely no right to change that child's name. If she can't do her job without injecting her religious beliefs (you're a freakin judge....separation of church and state...she needs to learn it and follow it) into things then she shouldn't be a judge IMO. She way overstepped the bounds and I know that I wouldn't want this woman making any decisions for my family.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• The judge was definitely out of line. If parents want to name their kids titles or foot fungus, so be it.

I can understand the other case tho where the parents named their kids Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation. I can only imagine the disadvantage that would be, even just trying to find a job.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• What about all those hispanic boys named "Jesus"? It's exactly the same thing.

No, cause it's pronounced "hey zeus" which clearly makes it different. DUH!!! 

Clearly the judge is wrong in this case and hopefully the parents go before a federal court to get the asshole removed from bench. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2013