Help..

ways to teach a 6 year old to tie his shoe??

i've tried teaching him before but he can't even tie a knot... he gets confused....

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried different ways of doig it?

maybe look up some ways on youtube or something- so you can try it differently?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Loop, swoop, and pull... Seriously I saw it on a spongebob episode when our oldest was little, and that's how I taught him to tie his shoes... I just made it fun after we watched it, and he would laugh every time I would say it. Some may think I sound crazy, but it worked, and I could care less what others thought...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• oldest is 7 it took me one time showing him and he got it down..

i've shown younger 6.. about 6-10 times and he just gives me a blank stare..

i tried getting slip on shoes, and the Velcro but because older brother says that they are for babies, younger won't wear them..

mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Isn't there a story about the one-eared bunny (the loop you make with your left hand if you are right-handed) going around the tree the string in your right hand going around the loop) and popping into his hole (pulling through) to find his other ear (two loops at the end)? I remember something like that from wen I learnd to tie my shoes--I still recall what torture it was, I wanted to give up tying my shoes for Lent the spring before I went to kindergarten! I haven't tried it with my daughter; I've copped out so far and resorted to Velcro.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• i will try all your ideas thanks ladies~
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• He'll get it. Sometimes it takes boys a little longer. I know a 16 yr. old boy that can barely tie his shoe yet. Seriously... And yes, he's all there.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2013