What do you do if the friends of your kids disobey you while they're at your house?

My daughter had a new neighbor girl over to play this afternoon. I've met the mom a few times at the pool and really like her, and I think we could end up building a good friendship. I don't have many mom friends around here, and I don't want to ruin the chance of making one by going to her now with a tale of her daughter's misdeeds. But while the little girl was here, she asked if she could open the cage and play with our parakeets. I told her she could hold the green one or the white one, and got them out for her, but I said the blue one wasn't hand tame and had to be left in the cage. First she kept pestering my daughter to talk me into letting her hold the blue bird. After I said no four or five times, she opened the cage anyway and shooed the blue parakeet out. He's not tame, so I ended up having to chase him around the house, losing track of him once or twice, till he slammed into a window and cut his beak on the blinds. It wasn't a bad cut; a little cornstarch stopped the bleeding. I didn't have a chance to deal with the girl because I was busy with the bird, and then the girl's big sister came to get her and they were in a hurry to attend Back to School Night. So now I'm sort of stumped. Ordinarily I probably would have sent the kid home, but that didn't happen. Now I'm not sure what, if anything, to say to the mom. I don't want her to be embarrassed and not let her daughter come back, or not talk to me again, but I don't want something like this to happen in the future, gain either.

What would you do? Or what would you want me to do if I were the girl's mom?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• In that situation I would let it go for now. However, next time she was over i would make it clear that the birds are not coming out of the cage and if you hear her over by the cage that she will have to go home. Let her know it is for the birds safety. That it is not funny and that the little bird hurt himself last time because he was scared.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Promptly send their butts home
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Being that it was the first time the girl was over I probably would not have opened the cage. I wouldn't say anything now but the next time she comes over nicely tell her the birds are not to be touched in front of the Mom.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• i would have sent her home
    but that ship has sailed
    next visit, the birds do not come out at all- period
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• i had a parakeet years back
    it was close to impossible to get him back in cage if he did not want to
    can not imagine trying to do this while watching two small kids
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Chasing down a little untamed bird without sight.

clapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I'm impressed that you know the colors of the birds and are able to chase it down!!
    That would be hard to do!

I wouldn't address the mom about this now, but if it should happen again tell her it's time to go home.
    Your rules need to be followed!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• curious how you tell them apart

confused

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I'd tell the mom,and take my chances. If she thinks she can come over and disobey the rules,you're going to have some problems on your hands

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Since you didn't get a chance to send her home, definitely call the mom and explain calmly what happened.

I'd want to know if my child was misbehaving. If the mom gets super defensive instead, she probably wouldn't make a good friend.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2013