Offshoot of the sex ed question

Bristol Palin had comprehensive sex ed in high school that included a full explanation of birth control, just like every other Alaskan high school student, and still got pregnant. Ever since Bill Clinton began the federally funded abstinence programs, study after study has shown that comprehensive sex ed (which means equal time for abstinence and birth control) reduces pregnancy, but there's not a single study that can say it eliminates it from any school that teaches it.
So, knowing that comprehensive sex ed is not 100% effective in preventing teen pregnancy, what else should be done?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Also no birthcontrol is 100% effective- I used to work with teen moms, one girl conceived 3 kids on 3 different kinds of birth control the first she was on the pill and used a condom the second and third she conceived on the depo shot which people saw her get so.....
    In the long run teaching sex ed is a lot better than abstinence only. "

so true, thank you for that, I had that problem with birth control as well.. not that I am complaining, I love my daughter.. but perhaps kids need to know more about the risks.. ex. rather than say.. use bc.. explain what bc is, so they can discuss with their doctors if it will work for them or not.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• nothing else can be done. teens know what happens when you have sex- they just think oh it wont happen to me. i know i did. why i thought that- i don't know. i'm glad now though that i ddin't think it would happen to me :o)
    But there are choices in life that we all have to make and that is the same choice- to use protection or not to use protection.
    To wear the seat belt in the car or not too- Knowing it could save my life or kill me if I don't.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Parents should instill some freakin morals in their kids!!! That is my opinion. My friends and siblings (not all, but the vast majority) didn't have sex before they were married because we chose to live by higher moral standards than skanky knocked up teens. We didn't want to become statistics! That was enough for us. I think that sex has become so casual and the parents allow it. We never had the opportunities to have sex because we septn time with our male/female friends at home with our parents or at well shaperoned parties. Where are the parents at?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well my parents did instill those morals. My mother is a pastor- so yes those morals were instilled in my head. Morals or not teens are going to do what they want to do. And thanks for calling me a skanky knocked up teen because I was 18 when I was knocked up. But I have only slept with one man and that is my husband, so I'm pretty sure I'm far from skanky. And we were supervised 95% of the time as well. I
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Teen pregnancy wasn't such a problem when it had a social stigma attached that caused the girls to become outcasts. There were some sad stories because of this, but the fact remains that out of marriage pregnancy was a lot rarer.

Our country has gone so far down the path of promiscuity in the media, etc. teen pregnancy is just going to keep going up regardless of sex ed.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think that all the education in the world that is coming from any source but the parents about morality (not sex), is highly ineffective. It is a fact that teens believe that it can "never happen to them". Well, I didn't engage in sexual activity as a teen because I knew my parents would be VERY disappointed - as well as my pastor and all of my younger cousins who looked up to me. It wasn't because I wasn't interested and didn't have any opportunities. Although, I have to say, my parents made sure that there was not the opportunity either. Of course, parents cannot control absolutely every situation their children are in, but they sure can make those situations very few and far between. Parents have to stop acting like they have no control - but they also have to establish that control when the children are first born. God made parents because children are not capable of getting through life to adulthood without us!
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 7:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Nothing will eliminate teen pregnancy 100%. There have been unplanned pregnancy forever and no amount of education will change that. Teens ARE more educated now than they were in the past. They just don't care. Its not the schools or the governments responsibility to teach children morals and values, its the parents.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing else we can do!

Teen pregnancies will never be eradicated. Teenagers will always make bad choices, and the best we as parents (and teachers) can do is equip them with the knowledge they need to make smart choices.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Also no birthcontrol is 100% effective- I used to work with teen moms, one girl conceived 3 kids on 3 different kinds of birth control the first she was on the pill and used a condom the second and third she conceived on the depo shot which people saw her get so.....
    In the long run teaching sex ed is a lot better than abstinence only.
    Anonymous

• When you live in a home where sex B4 marriage is a big no no, it is hard to even go to get birth control. You'd just have to live in a conservative family to know.
    Anonymous