Not sure what to do. Help please!

Ok so my daughter is 9 years old and very mature for her age. I am trying to figure out what to do in the afternoons when she gets out of school. I work 35-40 minutes from home and don't get off till 5p 3 days a week and 7p one day a week. All the child care centers near my home close before I could make it to pick her up. I was wondering what everyone thought about if I let her get off the bus at home and stay there alone until I get home. She does have a key and a cell phone for emergencies. She would be home alone for about 2 1/2 hours. I wasn't sure about this and would only try if she felt comfortable with it as well. Please let me know your opinions or any suggestions. Thanks

Elb04mom

Asked by Elb04mom at 8:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• 9 too young to be alone for 2.5 hours
    imo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Personally I feel 9 is too young to be home alone for that length of time. Could she go to a friend's house? You could offer to pay that mom a little bit. Also, you could try to get someone through care.com or sittercity.com to be with her in the afternoons. There are a lot of decent people who provide that kind of care. You can get background checks on them and even ask them to be fingerprinted. I do childcare through those sites and have had the extended background check done for the families I work for. Just ideas. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Still too young!!! If she was 12 or 13 then this would be an option! "The National SAFEKIDS Campaign recommends that no child under the age of 12 be left home alone, some states have set their own legal minimums" - please look up this minimum for your state to be on the safe side!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't like it- 9 is still young.
    I mean for an hour at a time...MAYBE

is there a friend in the neighborhood or something?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I think 9 is too young .
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Is there a Boys & Girls Club in the area? That can be an option for most of the days. Otherwise you probably need to hire a sitter. I wouldn't leave a nine year old home alone. In fact, in CA it's not legal to.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Too young! It's not just her you have to worry about. Can you ask a neighbor to keep her until you get home?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• 9 is too young. I would get a teen in the neighborhood to be at the house and watch her until you get home. Most teens would love the extra money and you could pay them a little less than you would an adult.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• i'm thinking a neighbor could watch her at least till you get home.. or she can go to a friends house and you pick her up from their.. family?
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a nine-year-old home alone for that long. Could you ask around at her school and see if one of her friends' moms could take her till you get off work?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2013