What do you think of this kindergarten schedule?

8:30-8:45 Get organized/Morning Work
8:45-9:30 Whole Group Reading
9:30-9:55 Specials
9:55-10:50 Writers’ Workshop
11:00-11:30 Lunch
11:30-12:00 Handwriting/Spelling
12:00-1:05 Math
1:05-1:20 Read Aloud/Relax
1:20-1:45 Specials
1:45-2:00 Recess
2:00-2:45 Learning Centers/Groups
2:45-3:10 Science/Social Studies
3:10 Closing Meeting
3:27 Dismissal

Again, maybe I'm just a nervous mom, but it seems like a lot for a five-year-old to deal with. Not much time for lunch or recess, and a whole lot more sitting than she's used to. I hope she's ready for this. The teacher said she did fine in the assessment, and she'd have more to tell me after the first week is over.

And what's up with 8:27 to 3:27? Why not 8:30 to 3:30?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, recess seems super-short. They get 30 minutes at my daughter's school, plus an indoor exercise time (they rotate what happens during that...either an organized/group dance, or stretching, or various movement exercises like crab-crawl or hopping across the room, etc.)

What are "specials"? Is that a free choice time? If so, it's nice that it happens on the early(ish) side of the day & also that it happens more than once. 25 minutes seems short for free choice/activity time (if that's what it is.) But maybe it's an organized teacher-led activity time, instead of open choice at various stations. (If so, then it seems there's almost NO time in the day for play.)

I am thinking that so much depends on the teacher & the tone...how the day flows & whether the kids are well-engaged. It does seem heavily teacher-directed, but even that can vary widely WITHIN those specified slots because it depends on HOW a given teacher proceeds.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Sounds about right. Just remember what the attention span of a 5 year old is
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• It's fine. Normal day for normal kinder kid
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• schools always start at wierd times- not sure WHY that is!

anyhow, the first week or so may take a bit of getting used to -but I'm sure she will do fine ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• What is specials? <<--- Reading, math, speech, OT/PT.... all as individual need dictates.

Another thing, they have Science and Social Studies in Kindergarten??? <<--- yup... but it's a lot less complicated then it sounds. Social studies are like current events, studying stuff like holidays (MLK, presidents day, etc). The "science" they do is cool stuff, very relevant to every day life.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Thanks for answering me Crafty!
    Damn school has changed a lot since my boys were in Kindergarten!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• For us specials was music, PE, computers, Spanish, and art but those slots look too short for that. I see recess, but no PE?

Answer by missanc at 11:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• recess is never long enough. :-(
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I think its fine, we have half days but in her 4k they had a schedule like that, kids adapt
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• What is specials?

It's been a long time since my kids were in school!
    No time for the kids to get homesick is there?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2013