The dr. says its a boy, but looking at it carefully, i'm now convinced its an umbilical cord

I just went for my ultrasound, they have me at 17-18 weeks but i'm only 16. The baby had its legs spread wide open and we see something sticking up, naturally we assumed it is a boy but after i got home, i now believe that its not a penis. For one, it is way too thick and for two, it goes all the way to the babies' knees. There's no way it could be that big! Then I look at another side pic of the baby and theres something sticking up out of its belly and its the umbilical cord, just as big and thick. Could my dr. be wrong? Should I ask to have another ultrasound? Would they give me one? Has anyone else been told they were having a boy and found out that it was a girl?

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yea its posible they are wrong and if you are that concerned ask for another ultrasound i dont see why they wouldnt give it to or take the pic to your doc and point it out and get there opinon on it !! good luck
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• at your next appt. I would take the us pics and point that out and ask for another one to be sure.
    Anonymous

• theres a chance your doctor could be wrong. . but not likely. . Im having a boy and let me tell you, it looks alot bigger on the screen than it actually would. Also they usually wont tell you for sure if its a boy or girl til at least 20 weeks (5 months). . So i would request another one. .Although they may or may not give it to you. . My doctor gave me one and only one. because it wasn't a medical neccesity to know the sex of the baby. Also they are really expensive and your insurance might not cover more than one.
    mandar

Answer by mandar at 7:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• What if i ask a planned parenthood to give me an ultrasound? Would they?
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You will probably have to make an appointment at a place that does the ultrasounds for entertainment purposes, which you will have to pay for because the ones the doctor orders are strictly for medical purposes, and not to tell the sex of the baby so if he orders another one that isn't for a medical purpose it will cost you HEAVILY! You can go to a place for gender determination, these are the "entertainment only" places, I just paid $70 for a gender determination ultrasound.
    Anonymous

• When I was pregnant with my first son, alot of girls I knew went to my doctor and they told me that my doctor told them that they were preg with boys and they came out girls. So now I'm a bit leary
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would ask for another one...are you on medicaid? That should cover it.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i know a few people who had that happen too them they was told boy and it came too delivery day and they had girls i know for a fact with medicaid only way they pay for ultra sounds is if something is wrong with baby they do not pay just too check the sex
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 8:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is very possible that they are wrong. If you aren't comepletely convinced of their findings, then you should take it up with your doctor, and they should give you another ultrasound.
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Does it make a difference if it's a boy or a girl? I don't understand how people can't just wait until the baby is born. Chill. Why does it matter? Your insurance will not cover another ultrasound just because you want to know the sex.
    Anonymous