Do you allow your children to self medicate if they're on prescription meds?

You would be surprised how many children between the ages of 9 on up that do!

Mom will ask child, are you out of xyz yet? And, they know exactly what they have or need!
Am I old school or is this the norm???

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2013 in Health

• We see this a lot at our school. We will have a child acting of control and the kid will say "I forgot my meds this morning." We call the parent to inform of behavior and we get "Oh, I don't know, they do that by themselves." or we hear "I'm out of meds. I told my mom but she didn't get me any yet" Seriously, why kind of mom let's the children's meds run out and not get them refilled for a month? For the one I got, I have the script, but I don't have a car--REally? You live a freaking block from the pharmacy!!!

But we also have moms that we suspect are 1) selling their child's meds or 2) taking them themselves.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My 12 year old can't even open a pill bottle.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• My girls couldn't even swallow pills without puking. I practically had to throw an Ibuprofen down their throats.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• DS isn't on prescription meds and if he was I wouldn't allow him to self medicate because he would "forget" to take them. He can swallow pills but is like me and hates taking them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• Kind of- but they aren't on anything regular, so it's just the rare "take your antibiotic pill" and only the older 2.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• it was just 2 weeks ago they had it filled.
    the kid is sharing his meds, or selling

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• The mom could be taking it too. That's also a problem not really discussed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• DGS is 13 and knows what he has and needs but he does not self medicate. The medicine bottle is handed to him. He takes the pill and hands the bottle back.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• I always give my five-year-old her asthma inhalers. I don't know what my stepson does when he's at his mom's house, but when he's here, I remind him to take his ADHD medicine every morning because nobody will have a good day if he forgets. He's pretty good about taking it now when reminded, but for a long time he resisted and would hide the pills in odd places around the house instead of swallowing them. (Why he stashed them behind the toilet or in the bookcase instead of flushing the evidence is beyond me.) So I'd stand there with him while he put the pills in his mouth and drank the water. I told him if I found any more pills, the next step would be that I would personally put the pils in his mouth. He said no way, I told him to try me and see. He didn't. So anyway, I do remind him and probably always will because I'm not willing to have the whole family pay the price for his medication mistakes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• He's seventeen, but he has some social and emotional delays because of Asperger's. He has a designated place to put his meds when he comes to the house, where his little sister can't get them, and that's where they stay till he goes home, when I remind him to take them with him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2013