Fleas?

While I was in Vegas, somehow my dog got fleas.
I finally got a few minutes with her tonight and she's got her tail chewed raw and I picked quite a few of the little suckers off of her.
Anything I can do to soothe her tonight and keep her from itching until I can get her treated tomorrow?
It's my first dog, hubby's the expert, but of course this all falls on me to handle and I have no clue!

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 12:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Pets

• Spray your dog with part vinegar and part water, do not dry off. Let him/her air dry. Fleas kill over at the smell of vinegar.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• After your dog is dry, then brush. On a positive note, vinegar is great for the fur. Nice and shiny. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Put some Benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream on it if you have it.
    Any anti-itch cream will do
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• UGH my indoor cat had fleas last year for the first time ever! We washed him in Dawn several times, then kept combing him to get any eggs off. That worked really well. I also treated the carpets with salt and baking soda.... sprinkled it on before bed and vac'ed the house in the morning. Did this three weeks in a row just to make sure. It took two months to confidently say we were flea free. But that was last summer and we haven't seen them since!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• We don't have to worry about fleas in Colorado, thank God, so I don't know. But here's a bump.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Oh- and also, most of the house is hard wood floors/tile. Do i have to do anything to the rugs and the furniture? (I'm thinking like this is head lice, I guess, and I never even had to deal with that!)
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Will the vinegar burn on the parts where she's chewed open? I don't want it to sting her!
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Thanks, ladies! Sydney says thanks, too!

PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• put some cedar chips in her bedding, if you don't want to go buy them, cut off a piece of cedar tree and chop it up and put it in the bedding. bathe her in either dog shampoo or dawn dish liquid. Spray her with this, I swear it works. It stinks but it works...you have to let it dry on there:
    8oz apple cider vinegar
    4oz warm water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda

mix the salt and baking soda, add the water and slowly add the vinegar. put in a spray bottle and spray the dog. it works wonders!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2013