Have you ever used those foam letter block puzzles for kids on your floor?

I bought a pack of them today thinking, oh cool this will be GREAT for my hardwood floors and the baby learning to crawl. A cushion.

Then.... I started reading....

Apparently they are banned in Europe because of the chemicals....

I don't know what to think now?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wow, I didn't know that. I've never used them, but I bought them for my nephew when he was little. He's eleven now and doing okay, so all's well that ends well, but I wonder what the chemicals are and why they're banned in Europe but not here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I thought the same thing, and yes I used that puzzle ABC mat as a padded play area in our kitchen for my crawling baby. But eventually I had second thoughts and decided it wasn't what I wanted to use. (I didn't read the stuff you read, though! Just knew the materials were things I had come to second-guess, and re-thought the thing.) So I packaged it up in the zippered case and set it aside (she had become a fiend about taking apart the pieces, anyway), and put down a tufted wool rug in the same spot. Ultimately, I sold the foam puzzle mat at a preschool-hosted tag sale.
    When I had little ones again, I used a couple of padded cloth play mats and our various area rugs (particularly that nice wool rug in our kitchen, which cushioned the ceramic tile floor.) Ceramic tile seemed harder on them than the wood floors (the rest of our house is hardwoods.)
    I did some things differently with teethers & baby toys the 2nd time around, too.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Google it. Formamide
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My daughter uses them with her new baby will pass on the info, thanks!

Answer by older at 7:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I used bigger mats from lowes. Everything has something in it that can harm you. I'm not especially worried about it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I've never used them. We have mostly carpet, so I've never needed something like that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• One mom I know threw them out after learning what you said and another mom still uses them.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• You could check the manufacturer before making a decision.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• hm...we had some but my son tore them up and tried to eat them! eek! well I'm glad he's ok, so maybe the ones I had weren't full of chemicals.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Yeah I bought it at walmart. Manufacturer has no contact info. Yuck.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2013