AUTISM: Can you say that you know at least one family who has a child with autism?

With the number of cases increasing every day there is the possibility that you have already met or will meet a family who has child with autism. It could be a neighbor, a co-worker, a friend or even a relative.

Sunny405

Asked by Sunny405 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know 2 adults on various parts of the autism spectrum as well as a neighbor and good friend whose child was severely autistic. That little boy was so misunderstood, but once you understood him, he was amazing. I finally got it that he loved trains and planes so that's what I had around our backyard when he came over. I was very sad when they moved because I didn't get to "play" with him as much.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• none
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• IMO Autism is the new ADHD. Suddenly massive numbers of cases. I think doctors are labeling because they : don't care, aren't paid enough, are afraid of lawsuits or don't have the time to really investigate thoroughly what is going on.
    Anonymous

• I know a couple of families with autistic children.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 7:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I know at least 4 kids who were diagnosed with autism. 3 are in mainstream school and are not noticeably different than the other kids. The other one is only 3. And I live in a very rural/small area.
    Anonymous

• I have three kids with autism. It's not like adhd in that there are no medications for it. Doctors aren't afraid, they are paid plenty. Maybe they don't care. But funding for research to investigate it is lacking. Plus since social interaction is one of the main areas affected it isn't considered a medical problem.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't know anyone who has a child with autism.
    Anonymous

• Yes, 2 families.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My brother in law is autistic and there are actual in your face symptoms. With adhd, kids who are hyper get diagnosed. My brother had alot of symptoms when he was younger and my mom couldnt understand what was going on with him. He stll has some now and has had a hard time socially his whole life.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 8:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have a child with autism, and it must be nice to be so removed from it that you can just make stupid armchair comments like "it's the new adhd, doctors diagnose it because they are lazy, blah blah blah" Spend a day listening to your school aged child hum the same song over and over again, with no eye contact with their parents all day, no conversation, and getting freaked out to the point of having a seizure when you try to do something simple like brush their teeth, and changing their diapers all day because they have no concept of the toilet. The kind of ignorant person who made the comment that anon @ 4:57 pm did probably thinks you can just spank it out of them. I pray that such uneducated people never had a special needs child, because there are so many who obviously don't have the heart or brain to care for such a person. Before you make such dumb, uneducated comments, look up the diagnostic criteria for autism.
    Anonymous