My child might actually break the cycle!

Of being clueless in the kitchen! lol :p My mom signed her up for a cooking class. They took the kids out to the garden & picked the zucchini & carrots for their zucchini bread & carrot cake muffins. They were so delicious. They even made lavender cookies. That was different. She can already do some things in the kitchen.

What things can your kids make? At what age did you allow them to start helping out?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• That's great! I'm a firm believer that getting kids involved in gardening so they can see where it comes from and how it grows also teaches them to be more adventurous eaters.

My dd is 6 and she's been in the kitchen with my since she was 2. She made blueberry muffins all by herself yesterday. I, of course, operated the oven. It was so stinking cute when she told me," Mommy, I got this. You go sit down and rest." lol!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My 13 yo son can make ramen noodles. Lol - he has no desire to be in the kitchen! My 12 yo dd is fairly good. She makes a really good from scratch dutch apple cake, brownies, grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes (she's working on making animals on demand for her little brother and sister), etc. Easy stuff, but at least she'll never starve!
    I signed my 15 yo with autism up for a cooking class for developmentally delayed teens. He loves it and I'm collecting each week's recipes to put in his cooking binder.

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My son made Shrimp po boys by himself at 5, I just put th shrimp in and out of the oven, he was in charge of the rest. Now at 6 he can make basics like PB&J and get his own cereal. He only wants to help make the cookies or cakes these days
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• "I signed my 15 yo with autism up for a cooking class for developmentally delayed teens. He loves it and I'm collecting each week's recipes to put in his cooking binder"

That's awesome! I've been thinking of starting a cooking therapy program and suggest it to a local organization that helps people with disabilities.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• thats so cool!

my kids can cook almost anything especially if they are willing to follow the recipe and dont get distracted.
    this week the girls learned how to make potato chips.
    they were probably about 5 or 6 when i started teaching them microwave cooking? (had to be able to read numbers)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My boys are 12 and 9. They can make anything that can be made in the microwave. They can make ramen noodles, and other similar things - things with specific directions that tell them exactly how much, how long, what temp, etc. by themselves.

I am teaching them to cook and bake from scratch, without box directions, but I stay with them for that, to teach them how to look at stuff and know whether or not it's done. Even with recipes, because sometimes a recipe can say to bake for X time, but if you let it go that long, it'll burn, or it's not quite long enough and so it's not completely done. So I stay with them to help them be able to look and test and judge when something is done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• He's been helping as long as he was able to hold a spoon and stir. He really started working on doing it all on his own this past year, the most complicated thing he's done so far is spaghetti with sauce from scratch. He's 10.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I teach my kids to cook a lot of things. I'm a chef, so I cook a lot around here, lol.
    My boys have helped out with anything from vegetable soup to risotto. They asked me to teach them to make pizza and cinnamon rolls from scratch, so I guess we'll be doing that tomorrow.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Mine were sitting/ laying on the counter as infants. As soon as they wanted to, but certainly by 2 they were helping in the kitchen and making bread.

DGD can help set the table and enjoys punching the dough and pouring in the already measured ingredients. She particularly likes to taste.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• My five-year-old can't make anything independently yet, but she likes to watch me cook. She knows how to crack eggs--I got splatted from face to knees when she did the first one because she banged it down on the counter like a gavel, but she got the hang of it quickly. Whenever she's interested, I'll let her stir or watch and ask questions. Her biggest limitation right now is that she doesn't like to get her hands gooey, so we haven't baked cookies or anything like that yet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2013