Proposed FL constitution amendment: replace religious freedom clause with assertion that government is based on Christianity

http://polkpolitics.blogs.theledger.com/11229/proposed-amendment-government-founded-on-christianity/

Is this a failure in education issue?  Does the education system need to put more effort into explaining what the actual words mean in the federal constitution to stop idiots like this from perpetuating these fictions?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Again in Florida......I swear that state has some issues.
    Let's just hope that they fail to get the needed 60% to pass it on the ballot.....but we are talking about Florida here....
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• WTF is it with this damn state?! Bunch of fucking idiots. It won't surprise me if it does pass, but isn't it unconstitutional and all that crap?

I do think it is an education issue partly, it is also a Christians believe what they want to believe issue. (Not all, so don't get your panties in a wad if this doesn't apply to you.) Even if they explicitly taught in school that this nation was NOT founded on Christian morals and did not use the Bible as it's guideline, those Christians that believe this would say that this is the secular agenda taking over our schools. It isn't going to change because they won't change.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• As a new Floridian, they sure as hell won't be getting my vote or signature.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

Run while you still can...Run I say....RUN

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Man, it's sad when Florida makes Texas look reasonable. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• This is an excellent example of why I homeschool. This country was founded with religious freedom in mind, not with everyone being Christian in mind. But that is not taught in school - at least not the ones here. It's either completely glossed over or it's taught in such a way that while the teachers don't come right out and say "we were founded as a Christian country", the implication is clear enough for even young children to figure it out.

I certainly won't be voting to allow this to happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• the same county where the walmart mom came from

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• it's taught in such a way that while the teachers don't come right out and say "we were founded as a Christian country", the implication is clear enough for even young children to figure it out.

It confuses me. I remember school. I remember having a constitution exam in 8th grade, another one Junior year, and a poli sci class on top of that senior year. These were all mandatory classes. You weren't allowed to enroll in high school if you didn't pass the 8th grade exam, and you weren't allowed to graduate unless you passed the Junior year exam and the poli sci class. All the people who graduate with me had to pass those exact same exams and courses, yet I see on facebook now, quite a few of them parroting the Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck/Rick Perry brand of brainwashing. Have they consciously chosen to forget all they were taught?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• *graduated
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Have they consciously chosen to forget all they were taught?

Yes, because to them, that isn't THE truth. It is what they were spoon fed in a secular school. The school twisted the real meaning behind the constitution and the way this country was really founded. I had a friend tell me this exact same thing when we were discussing it. They will twist things so they can believe what they want to believe.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:56 AM on Aug. 14, 2013