When making my own tomato sauce, can I use a regular pot of hot water to can it?

I've read to leave about an inch of space in the jar, and put lid on. Submerge into water for 40 minutes. Do I wait for the pop then, or will it pop later?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:56 AM on Aug. 14, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It pops later It is strongly recommended to use a wire rack on the bottom of the kettle. This came with mine. I do not know if they still do. Have you got a canning book? The directions are very clear. You want to do it right to avoid botulism.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2013

• Because of the acid in the tomatoes you do not need a pressure cooker so any pot of hot water that fully covers the jars is fine. Do a google search and you will find explicit directions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I've never canned anything, but I remember my grandma putting the pot on the stove and counting the pops as she cleaned up the kitchen to make sure she heard twelve.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2013