How much of last year's school supplies do you still have the following year?

Obviously this doesn't apply to areas where everyone gets "free" supplies at school paid by tax money.

In DS's program, 4th, 5th and 6th use the same basic list, with just some variations added for each grade. All his folders from last year, plus 2 notebooks he never even used (they require 5 in 5 specific colors), flash drive, highlighters and binder went back. He has a whole supply of pencils that came home in goody bags or attached to awards, so he took those with, and we only replaced his earbuds because the ones he had last year were one size only and too big for him. This year we purposely found a set that had interchangeable ear pieces with a smaller size.

In the end, we only had to replace a few of the notebooks that actually were used last year, index cards, dry erase markers, and the usual loose leaf paper, kleenex and ziplog bags everyone has to send.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Pencils crayons, scissors that sort of thing came home in a "homework box" the first week for her to use to complete any homework. (about half of what was required to be bought with those items, except pencils) So we have that....of course I'm buying all new crayons as most of the ones brought home were used for other things as well. The rest we never saw again.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• A scissor. I had to buy 22 additional items. The list was 23. Nothing was returned to us from last year but broken crayons :P I spoke to one of the class Moms & she said when the year ended the supply closet was still full. That irked me. The Teacher should have returned more to us of what was unused since we provided everything.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I bought everything new this year.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I have been eternally grateful that we haven't had a "community supplies" teacher since 1st grade. 2nd grade was a first year teacher and she started out trying it that way, but found out what a nightmare it was, so they all got to keep their stuff after the first week.

Incidentally, who ever thought community scissors was a good idea has apparently never met a lefty.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• We have some pens, pencils, highlighters, flash drives and a few erasers. At the end of the year whatever crayons/markers/colored pencils come home go into our home box to be used here at home (rarely does a whole pack come home that isn't almost gone) and I buy them new packs for the upcoming year. We have to buy folders, binders, spiral notebooks, index cards and notebook paper.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• I'm just reusing my DD's scissors.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• 1) Crayola crayons, 24 ct.
    2) Crayola markers, classic, broad, washable, 8 ct.
    3) Crayola pencils, classic, colored, 7” long, 12 ct.
    4) Pencil, #2, wooden, sharpened (6)..can certainly find these around the house
    5) Low-Odor dry erase markers, black (2)
    6) Eraser, Pink Pearl
    7) Elmer’s glue stick, washable, .21 oz. (3)
    8) Folders, laminated, pocket, different colors (1 each: blue, green, red)
    9) Ruler, 12”/30cm, plastic
    10) School box, 5”x 8”
    11) Fiskars kids scissors, pointed..had these
    12) Tissues, large box
    13) Qt- zip lock bags (1)
    14) Art smock in plastic zip-lock bag...had this
    also new backpack - she used old one for two years, it had seen batter days
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• can anyone tell me what....a School box, 5”x 8” is
    pics appreciated
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• ^^^Probably a Pencil Box:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2013

• DGS had a goodly amount of stuff that was reusable as well. He is in 7th this year.
    All the folders were trashed by the end of the year and he also is required to have them in certain colors .Book bag , binder all of that sort of thing were just fine. The major things were things like Kleenex and hand sanitizer for group use and index cards. He grew so gym uniforms were also needed but they have the shirt and trunks and I got 2 sets for $60.00 not bad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2013